About this program
PhD in Systems Engineering and Informatics
Systems Engineering and Informatics (SEI) postgraduate study program follows up several master’s study programs at VŠB – TU Ostrava, Faculty of Economics, especially Information and knowledge management. This study program is scheduled for 4 years and graduates are awarded the Ph.D. degree. The program can be studied in several mutations – full-time and part-time, in Czech and in English.
The study consists of the study part ended up by the final state exam and research part focused on dissertation thesis and its defence. The credit system is applied for evaluation of the study. This system is in line with the European ECTS system, allowing for exchange mobilities of students between universities in Europe.
The graduates of the SEI study program adopt skills, which allows to manage systems analysis of various problems and establish new methodologies based on modern methods, IT and systemic approach. The study program is interdisciplinary and connects economics with informatics. This synergy gives rise to a wide field of positions in both research and business.
The goal of the Systems Engineering and Informatics (SEI) postgraduate study program (full-time and part-time study) is to educate experts who are able to interconnect knowledge and skills in systems disciplines in order to solve various economic and technical problems with the support of information and knowledge systems. The study is focused on the use and development of new methods allowing for analysis and solution of various problems related to the application of systems in a knowledge society. The study program is interdisciplinary and interconnects economic fields and informatics.
- diploma (follow-up) master’s degree;
- diploma supplement;
- a document proving the fulfilment of the condition of proper completion of studies in (follow-up) master degree program if education was obtained abroad (not applicable equivalent documents, e.g. from the Slovak Republic).
- language certificate. The applicant is required to demonstrate their ability to study in the chosen language. In the case of studying in the Czech language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the Czech or Slovak language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of the Czech language at B1 level. In the case of studying in the English language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the English language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of English at B1 level (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS). If the information on teaching in English is not given on the document of previous education, it is necessary to provide the so-called "Medium of instruction".
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems
- English Language Dr.
- French Language Dr.
- German Language Dr.
- Quantitative methods of economic analysis
- Russian Language Dr.
- Spanish Language Dr.
- Systems Supporting the Strategic Decision Making
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the VSB-Technical University of Ostrava for more information.
Tuition fee: 500 CZK per semester, approx. 20 EUR per academic year
The graduates of the SEI study program adopt skills, which allows to manage systems analysis of various problems and establish new methodologies based on modern methods, IT and systemic approach. They can solve well-structured and non-structured problems and lead large projects. The students are able to write out scientific texts in both Czech and English when dealing with the problems mentioned above. They have professional managerial skills at both tactical and strategic levels.
The graduates of Systems Engineering and Informatics (SEI) postgraduate study program can apply systems disciplines for solving various economic and technical problems. They can use and establish new methods for systems analysis and optimization based on intelligent tools. The graduates usually work as academic staff members, researchers at universities or companies, system analysts, IT experts, project portfolio managers, risk managers, systems integrators, decision support systems designer, data analysts.
Message the school
About this institute
VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
VSB-TUO’s study programs are built on a 170-year tradition. Currently, there are almost eleven thousand undergraduates and graduates studying for degrees at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels in engineering, IT, technology, economics and business administration. Courses are provided by seven...
Why study at VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
Study at VSB-TUO places an emphasis on practical training, whilst investigating real problems from today’s state-of-the-art industries, using the latest software and instruments. In many subjects 50% of the coursework is practically oriented, perfectly complimenting the advanced theoretical instruction, and ensuring that graduates have gained the education and experience sought by employers the world over. VSB-TUO has strong links to industry and thrives on applied research, in cooperation with companies and institutions worldwide, in finding innovative solutions to modern day issues.
Want to know more about PhD in Systems Engineering and Informatics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!