The Master’s Programme in Strategic Business Development
The Master’s Programme in Strategic Business Development is your stepping stone to business. The programme offers you in-depth knowledge related to the management of strategic processes, which can be applied in service and manufacturing companies, business consulting and research institutions.
The Master's Programme in Strategic Business Development provides knowledge on managing the business development processes by offering courses focused on three key areas: new business opportunity recognition, business planning, and strategy implementation.
The eligibility for studies in the Master's programmes is evaluated on the basis of your previous education. According to the Universities Act (558/2009), section 37, eligible for studies leading only to a higher university degree shall be a person who has:
- an applicable lower university degree;
- an applicable polytechnic degree; or
- an applicable education completed abroad which in the awarding country gives eligibility for corresponding higher education.
Students are eligible for admission to the two-year Master’s Programme in Strategic Business Development if they have completed a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field. The programme leads to a degree in Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration. Approximately 20 students are accepted to the programme each year.
To be considered for admission to the Master's Programme in Strategic Business Development, the applicant must fulfil the following criteria:
1. Scope of the degree: A 3- or 4-year Bachelor degree at university or polytechnic level
2. Prior studies at Bachelor level or higher in the core areas of the programme:
- For the Programme in Strategic Business Development these areas are: international business, marketing, and management and organisation;
- Other than Business administration field if candidates can demonstrate a proper background in business studies as follows: minimum of 35 ECTS in business studies is required (of which 20 ECTS in marketing, management or accounting & finance and 10 ECTS other business studies).
3. Applicant’s performance (i.e. GPA) in previous studies, including the thesis or final report (i.e. the final assignment students must complete in circumstances where a thesis is not used).
- The overall grade (GPA) and the grade of the thesis for a Bachelor’s degree from a university should be at least ‘good’ 3/5 (ECTS grading), or equivalent in the systems not using the ECTS.
- The overall grade (GPA) and the grade of the thesis or final report for a Bachelor’s degree from a polytechnic or university of applied sciences should be at least ‘good’ 3/5 (ECTS grading).
4. English language proficiency as instructed in admission criteria
Applications that satisfy the above eligibility criteria will be put through a subsequent evaluation process that will determine which applicants are selected for admission to the programme. The criteria used in the selection process are listed below in order of importance. The selection process uses an objective system of points for the evaluation of candidates (in total 45 points). The weight of each of the criteria is the following:
- Applicant's amount of relevant prior studies and the performance in these (including the thesis or final work) (25 points)
- Applicant's amount of international experience (work and/or study) (5 points)
- Applicant's amount of work experience in areas relevant to the programme (5 points)
- Applicant's motivation (10 points)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
SBD Programme Structure in general
- Compulsory Strategic Business Development Courses (50 ECTS)
- Optional Strategic Business Development Courses (at least 22 ECTS)
- Master's Thesis Research (30 ECTS)
- Methodological Studies (8 ECTS)
- Language and General Studies (10 ECTS)
Scholarships & funding
University of Vaasa offers a generous scholarship programme for students who are subject to tuition fees. Scholarships are applied for by choosing the scholarship option in the application form to the programme. Students are informed about possible scholarships together with the admission results.
First Year Scholarship - University of Vaasa Global Student Scholarship
- Each Master’s programme will provide one 100% tuition fee waiver to the best ranked tuition fee subjected student based on the previous academic merits reviewed during application process.
- Each Master’s programme will also provide five 50% tuition fee waivers to the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth best ranked tuition fee subjected students based on the previous academic merits reviewed during application process.
- All first year scholarships include a conditional second year scholarship (see below).
- Scholarships are personal and linked to the acceptance of the offered study place. They do not transfer to other universities.
Second Year Scholarship - University of Vaasa Global Student Award for Academic Excellence
- Every student proceeding with the studies in the target time (approximately 55 ECTS during the first year) is entitled to a 50% tuition fee waiver for the second year.
- If the student was granted a first year scholarship to the programme, the second year scholarship is included as long as the studies are proceeding in the target time.
- Student who does not have a first year scholarship can apply for the second year scholarship during the studies. Details for the second year scholarships will be communicated to the students during their first year.
You will not need to pay tuition fee if you:
- Are EU/EEA citizen
- Are equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- Are residing in Finland on a permanent basis
- Have an EU Blue Card
About this institute
University of Vaasa
The University of Vaasa on the west coast of Finland is one of the most international universities in Finland. The accredited programmes in business and technology attract students from around the world. Friendly atmosphere combined with top-quality education provide you...
Why study at University of Vaasa
- University of Vaasa is the largest energy hub in Nordic countries with 140 companies and 11,000 employees in the energy industry
- The employment rate is the best in Finland.
- We have close ties with the businesses of the region and use actual case studies in our teaching combining theoretical knowledge with practical examples.
- Our university is an international and close community.
- Our students think that our university has a good spirit of togetherness and a great atmosphere.
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews.
Want to know more about Master’s Programme in Strategic Business Development? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
You may also like...
Gran Canaria, Spain