Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Master of NursingUniversity of Tasmania
Master of Nursing
The Master of Research qualifies individuals who apply an advanced body of knowledge in a range of contexts for research and scholarships and as a pathway for further research.
A research degree is an advanced study program that gives you an opportunity to deeply explore a topic of your choice and the expertise of their supervisors. To find an expert in your field of interest, see the Web Access Research Portal (WARP) site.
Research degree candidates are driven by naturally inquiring minds, and have a passion to solve problems and advance humanity. A research degree allows you to conduct your own, unique research, and produce new knowledge and expertise that is innovative, relevant, and enlightened.
Research degrees equip graduates with the transferable skills and attributes necessary for challenging and diverse roles in industry, government and business, as well as in research and academic organisations.
At the University of Tasmania, a research degree is a true mark of endeavour, providing you with the training and skills necessary for a career in academia and beyond.
A Master of Research enables individuals to expand their breadth of knowledge and expertise in their chosen discipline.
The Degree provides candidates with advanced skills to carry out independent and sustained research. Candidates will be able to demonstrate specialist knowledge in the area of their research, present the results of their research in a publishable quality and demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, research ethics and codes of practice.
At the University of Tasmania candidates are encouraged to demonstrate academic leadership, increasing independence, creativity and innovation in their research and encouraged in the acquisition of a wide range of advanced and transferable skills.
Graduates will fulfil the skill requirements in the Australian Qualification Framework for this degree and the University of Tasmania expects all graduates of a Master of Research to meet its Generic Attributes
Applicants should apply after finding a potential supervisor and discussing and agreeing on their proposed topic. Applicants will be considered who have:
- An honour's degree with at least second class lower standard; or
- A masters degree with a minimum research component (e.g., a thesis); or
- Substantial demonstrated sector experience, previous higher education studies and professional experience and/or published research work.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Graduates of a Masters (Research) will be able to:
- Use specialised knowledge and skills for research, and/or professional practice and/or further learning;
- Demonstrate an advanced and integrated understanding of a complex body of knowledge in one or more disciplines or areas of practice; and
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of applicable techniques for research and advanced academic enquiry.
Graduates of a Masters (Research) will be independent researchers able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of theoretical knowledge and to reflect critically on theory and its applications;
- Investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theories and to apply established theories to different bodies of knowledge or practice;
- Generate and evaluate complex ideas and concepts at an abstract level;
- Design, use and evaluate research and research methods;
- Communicate orally and in written form to present a coherent and sustained argument and to disseminate research results to specialist and non-specialist audiences; and
- Design, evaluate, implement, analyse, theorise and disseminate research that makes a contribution to knowledge
Application of Knowledge
Graduates of a Masters (Research) Degree will have the knowledge and skills to be able to:
- Plan and execute a substantial piece of research using creativity, initiative, expert judgement, adaptability and responsibility as a practitioner or scholar.
- Understand and apply the social and ethical implications of research and appropriate professional behaviour consistent with the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research and other relevant guidelines.
Master of Research degrees are internationally recognised research degrees.
The Master of Research is a demonstration of a graduate's ability to initiate a research project and to formulate viable research questions, to design, conduct and report independent and original research on a defined project and to demonstrate critical evaluation of scholarly literature.
As a result, Master of Research graduates have the opportunity to pursue diverse career paths, including professions in research and academia, as well as a broad spectrum of professions in the public and private sector, including: in nursing practice development units advancing evidence based practice and the translation of research into practice.
About this institute
University of Tasmania
Tasmania is a place unlike any other. Our island is a living laboratory where environment, industry and society are uniquely connected. With 45% of the island being National Park or World Heritage listed it is a stunning place to get...
Why study at University of Tasmania
Australia ranked #2 study abroad country
Australia has been ranked the #2 study abroad country in the world for 2020! With everything from the tranquility of the Gold Coast beaches to the adventure of the Australian Alps, take a trip “Down Under” and discover why Australia is a great choice for an exceptional study abroad experience.
Tasmania is unique and so are Tasmanians. We believe in our island. We embrace the unusual. And we love imagination.
From our vibrant cities to the stillness of our World Heritage-listed wilderness, our incredible island is a place of contrasts – and we embrace its character in everything we do.
We offer great courses in an extraordinary location, and our teaching is supported by world-leading research, so you know you’re getting direct access to the best expertise. We’re the only university in the state, which means you will get unparalleled access to industry connections through our institution’s partnerships.
Want to know more about Master of Nursing? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...