Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Doctor of EducationUniversity of Tasmania
Doctor of EducationThe Doctor of Education is a professional doctorate consisting of a rigorous program of advanced coursework and research, designed specifically to meet the needs of the education industry and education professional groups. It is designed to enable participants to pursue higher degree research within the context of their role in the workplace and to receive academic support and recognition.
The intake for the Doctor of Education is 1 Jan each year. Applications should be made in the year prior to the year they want to commence. A 1 July intake could be considered in special circumstances.
The campus of study will vary depending on the location of the candidate, the supervisor and the research field.
The research topic will reflect the interests of the candidate, their workplace and the expertise of their supervisors. To find an expert in your field of interest, see the Web Access Research Portal (WARP) site.
The Doctor of Education will provide experienced education professionals with the opportunity to make a significant contribution to knowledge and practice in their professional context and may formalise workplace-based research and development. Its interdisciplinary nature and opportunity for inter-professional research provides a framework for the integration of professional expertise and scholarly enquiry.
The course aims to develop the managerial competencies of candidates by equipping them with the ability to evaluate different conceptual approaches to education issues in the context of their own experience and workplace.
Candidates will acquire advanced specialist research training and provide evidence for independent thought and critical analysis, effective communication and expert knowledge of the discipline within a broader framework of knowledge in the international context.
At the University of Tasmania candidates are encouraged to demonstrate academic leadership, increasing independence, creativity and innovation in their research and are supported in their acquisition of a wide range of advanced and transferable skills.
The best HTML CheatSheet has its own visual editor where you can apply your own CSS code as well. Web developers and designers love this free online resource!
As per Clause 8 of Rule 4 - Rules of Graduate Research, the Dean may admit to candidature for a Doctor of Philosophy a person who has been awarded a degree from a Recognised Tertiary Institution as being in the appropriate discipline and equivalent to:
- A Bachelor Honours degree of at least second class upper standard with a Minimum Research Component
- A Masters of Research Degree with a Minimum Research Component
- A Masters Degree (Coursework) or Graduate Diploma with a Minimum Research Component
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Units to be undertaken prior to Confirmation of Candidature
- Introduction to Higher Degree by Research
- Advanced Educational Inquiry
- Planning a Research Project
Units to be undertaken at appropriate times after Confirmation of Candidature
- Data Analysis in Educational Research
Choose two of the three following options
- Writing for Publication
- Research Utilisation and Praxis
- Master of Education
- Understanding Educational Inquiry
- Improving Teaching and Practice through Action Research
- Dissertation Part A
- Dissertation Part B
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Graduates of a Doctor of Philosophy will be able to:
- Make an original and substantial contribution to knowledge of a subject within or across academic disciplines or areas of professional practice;
- Demonstrate a systemic and critical understanding of a substantial and complex body of knowledge of a subject within or across academic disciplines or areas of professional practice; and
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of applicable techniques for research and advanced academic enquiry.
Graduates of a Doctor of Philosophy will be independent researchers able to:
- Evaluate the appropriateness and usefulness of various perspectives, methods and processes in research projects;
- Independently and systematically develop, adapt and implement research methodologies to extend and redefine existing knowledge or professional practice;
- Expert technical and creative skills applicable to the field of work or learning; and
- Critically analyse, evaluate and synthesise new and complex ideas;
- Work collaboratively in a team, recognising the need for and value of complementary expertise/skill sets, and work productively with other people; and
- Communicate orally and in written form sufficient to publish and present their work, and communicate ideas and conclusions clearly and effectively to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Application of Knowledge
Graduates of a Doctoral Degree will have the knowledge and skills to be able to:
- Undertake research with autonomy, authoritative judgement, adaptability and responsibility as an expert and leading practitioner or scholar.
- Understand and apply the social and ethical implications of research and appropriate professional behaviour consistent with the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research and other relevant guidelines.
About this institute
University of Tasmania
Tasmania is a place unlike any other. Our island is a living laboratory where environment, industry and society are uniquely connected. With 45% of the island being National Park or World Heritage listed it is a stunning place to get...
Why study at University of Tasmania
Australia ranked #2 study abroad country
Australia has been ranked the #2 study abroad country in the world for 2020! With everything from the tranquility of the Gold Coast beaches to the adventure of the Australian Alps, take a trip “Down Under” and discover why Australia is a great choice for an exceptional study abroad experience.
Tasmania is unique and so are Tasmanians. We believe in our island. We embrace the unusual. And we love imagination.
From our vibrant cities to the stillness of our World Heritage-listed wilderness, our incredible island is a place of contrasts – and we embrace its character in everything we do.
We offer great courses in an extraordinary location, and our teaching is supported by world-leading research, so you know you’re getting direct access to the best expertise. We’re the only university in the state, which means you will get unparalleled access to industry connections through our institution’s partnerships.
Want to know more about Doctor of Education? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Doctorate / PhD
Pretoria, South Africa
Doctorate / PhD
Pretoria, South Africa
Doctorate / PhD
8,200 GBP-16,500 GBP