Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Bachelor of Pharmacy With Applied Honours
Pharmacy is considered to be one of Australia's most trusted professions.
The pharmacy degree at the University of Tasmania is a professionally accredited program, providing you with specialist skills and expertise in the basic and clinical pharmaceutical sciences. This is complemented by hands-on experience through professional experience placements, which help you gain the skills and attitudes required to become a registered pharmacist in Australia.
Pharmacists play a central part in primary health care teams. Working alongside doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals, they're essential in helping people manage their health.
As a pharmacy student you will study various topics influencing human health such as:
- The role of a pharmacist
- How medications and their dosages are made
- How medications work in the human body
- Using medications and other means to prevent and manage medical conditions
The main aim of the course is to provide students with a specialist education in the basic and clinical pharmaceutical sciences and to enable them to gain the skills and attitudes required for the responsible practice of pharmacy.
The Bachelor of Pharmacy with Applied Honours provides students with the skills and knowledge to work in community pharmacies, hospitals and other parts of the health system. The degree will enable you to demonstrate the competencies required for registration as a pharmacist in Australia.
Develop your clinical pharmacy expertise on drugs and diseases to optimise the use of medicines across the healthcare system, learn to communicate effectively with patients and other members of the health care team, and develop the skills required to source, prepare and supply medicines accurately and efficiently.
Our pharmacy graduates are globally recognised for the quality of their clinical pharmacy skills and ability to transform pharmacy practice, going on to work in the wider community, hospitals, research facilities and even the military.
You'll be taught by some of Australia's leading pharmacists. Our staff are passionate about what they teach, including researchers from our highly successful Unit for Medication Outcomes Research and Education (UMORE).
If yo To be an eligible for an offer, you must have studies or experience equivalent to a satisfactory achievement in the following Tasmanian Senior Secondary subjects (or equivalent):
- General Mathematics (MTG315115) or Mathematics Methods Foundation (MTG315117) or higher. We recommend students have studies or experience equivalent to Mathematics Methods (MTG415117); and
- Chemistry (CHM415115); and
- Biology (BIO315116), for students applying to commence in Semester 2
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The Bachelor of Pharmacy with Applied Honours is a 4-year Bachelor degree, with Semester 1 and 2 entry pathways available.
- Human Anatomy and Physiology 1A
- Chemistry 1A Hobart
- Pharmacy Skills in Practice 1
- Human Anatomy and Physiology 1B
- Chemistry 1B Hobart
- Pharmaceutical Science and Practice 1
- Biochemistry A (Pharmacy)
- Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Development
- Pharmaceutical Science and Practice 2A
- Microbiology B (Pharmacy)
- Pharmacy Skills in Practice 2
- Evidence Based Health Care
- Clinical Pharmacy Research
- Therapeutics in Practice 3A
- Pharmacy Skills in Practice 3A
- Therapeutics in Practice 3B
- Clinical Pharmacokinetics 3
- Pharmacy Skills in Practice 3B
- Therapeutics in Practice (4)
- Clinical Pharmacokinetics 4
- Pharmacy Skills in Practice 4A
- Pharmacy Practice
- Transition to Pharmacy Practice 3
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
For students wishing to prepare for a career in research by completing a traditional research Honours degree to enable entry to a PhD program, an overload Honours option is available. Students can complete a traditional research Honours program within the four-year Bachelor of Pharmacy with Applied Honours program. This involves a completion of a 50% overload in Year 4. Students who complete this pathway will graduate with the Bachelor of Pharmacy with Honours (54B). This pathway can also be completed after graduation full or part-time.
We also offer a range of postgraduate courses for pharmacy graduates including:
- Bachelor of Medicines Management with Professional Honours in Complementary Medicines
- Bachelor of Pharmacy with Professional Honours in Clinical Pharmacy
- Master of Clinical Pharmacy
- Master of Pharmaceutical Science
- Doctor of Philosophy (Pharmacy)
Most of our graduates go on to practice as registered pharmacists in the community or in hospitals, working with other healthcare professionals and with consumers in an expanding range of roles that optimise the consumers' medication management.
Some pharmacists undertake additional accreditation to conduct medication reviews for consumers in their own home, or work in residential care facilities to ensure quality use of medicines.
Pharmacists can also have other roles in Australia and overseas related to:
- Clinical trials
- The evaluation of new drug products
- Quality control
- Marketing of pharmaceuticals
- Government health departments to assist with regulation, approval and supply of medications
About this institute
University of Tasmania
Tasmania is a place unlike any other. Our island is a living laboratory where environment, industry and society are uniquely connected. With 45% of the island being National Park or World Heritage listed it is a stunning place to get...
Why study at University of Tasmania
Australia ranked #2 study abroad country
Australia has been ranked the #2 study abroad country in the world for 2020! With everything from the tranquility of the Gold Coast beaches to the adventure of the Australian Alps, take a trip “Down Under” and discover why Australia is a great choice for an exceptional study abroad experience.
Tasmania is unique and so are Tasmanians. We believe in our island. We embrace the unusual. And we love imagination.
From our vibrant cities to the stillness of our World Heritage-listed wilderness, our incredible island is a place of contrasts – and we embrace its character in everything we do.
We offer great courses in an extraordinary location, and our teaching is supported by world-leading research, so you know you’re getting direct access to the best expertise. We’re the only university in the state, which means you will get unparalleled access to industry connections through our institution’s partnerships.
Want to know more about Bachelor of Pharmacy With Applied Honours? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Wyoming, United States of America