Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Bachelor of Fine Arts With HonoursUniversity of Tasmania
Bachelor of Fine Arts With Honours
The Bachelor of Fine Arts with Honours (BFA(Hons)) is a one-year creative arts degree delivered by the School of Creative Arts and Media.
With facilities close to the centre of both Hobart and Launceston, you will have access to world class workshop facilities with generous allocations of studio working space, staffed by dedicated practising artists and designers. You will be engaging in the contemporary practices of art, which, while still firmly having making at their centre, also engage with the world through critical and reflective thinking.
In one year of advanced practice-led study, you will have the option of undertaking either Professional Honours or Research Honours, depending on your results and your future aims. Professional Honours focuses on developing skills required for engaging in creative practices outside the university setting, while Research Honours prepares you for undertaking a Research Higher Degree such as an MFA or a PhD.
You will present a conceptually multi-layered, resolved creative work as a result of a project in the disciplines of visual art, design or theatre and performance. We are developing opportunities for our students to participate in contemporary culture, not to just be consumers of it - to actively contribute to the cultural life of our society. You will be able to engage directly with Tasmania’s internationally acclaimed arts culture through our ongoing partnerships with festivals and arts institutions across the state and interact with both Australian and international visiting artists.
A degree in creative arts can be the foundation of a surprising variety of careers, as it develops the generally agreed essential 21st century skills of criticality, creativity, innovation and communication; the only limits are in your imagination.
Entry in the Bachelor of Fine Arts with Honours is by formal application. Candidates are expected to have a good academic record, and to have satisfied minimum criteria as either: successful completion of an undergraduate creative arts degree or major in creative arts within a generalist with high achievement; or demonstrate equivalent professional attainment. At least one of the General Entrance Requirements of the University, and the following course-specific entry requirements must be met for entry into the Bachelor of Fine Arts with Honours:
- a relevant bachelors degree with a major in visual or fine arts, design and/or theatre and performance with a distinction average or equivalent at the University of Tasmania or another approved tertiary institution; or equivalent industry experience, and;
- Can be provided with appropriate academic supervision for their proposed project.
Portfolio and Project Proposal
The portfolio should consist of up to 10 labelled digital images or videos of recent original artwork and a project proposal to support the application.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Art and Design Theory
- Time Based Media
- 3D Design
- Visual Communication
- Curatorial Studies
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Define and articulate, to relevant audiences, coherent and advanced knowledge of the underlying research principles and diverse contexts (e.g. social, cultural and historical) that inform all aspects of arts practice.
- Demonstrate intellectual independence, self-awareness and reflexive practice through the critical analysis and evaluation of ideas, artefacts, performances, commentary and knowledge.
- Exercise well-developed initiative and judgement in developing new cognitive and technical skills, to manage contingencies with some independence, provide solutions to complex problems and deliver conceptually multi-layered, resolved creative works.
- Undertake self-directed, speculative inquiry in one or more disciplines to develop new, individual creative practice outcomes by adapting advanced knowledge and skills in diverse contexts, and executing projects with unforeseen outcomes.
- Develop and sustain a researched, self-defined creative practice and/or inquiry that is both autonomous and connected with professional, scholarly, and/or social communities.
Graduates from the Bachelor of Fine Arts with Honours find employment in a variety of positions within the arts professions, including studio practice, theoretical writing on art, curatorial work, gallery administration, research and teaching, as well as participating in individual and group-generated projects.
About this institute
University of Tasmania
Tasmania is a place unlike any other. Our island is a living laboratory where environment, industry and society are uniquely connected. With 45% of the island being National Park or World Heritage listed it is a stunning place to get...
Why study at University of Tasmania
Australia ranked #2 study abroad country
Australia has been ranked the #2 study abroad country in the world for 2020! With everything from the tranquility of the Gold Coast beaches to the adventure of the Australian Alps, take a trip “Down Under” and discover why Australia is a great choice for an exceptional study abroad experience.
Tasmania is unique and so are Tasmanians. We believe in our island. We embrace the unusual. And we love imagination.
From our vibrant cities to the stillness of our World Heritage-listed wilderness, our incredible island is a place of contrasts – and we embrace its character in everything we do.
We offer great courses in an extraordinary location, and our teaching is supported by world-leading research, so you know you’re getting direct access to the best expertise. We’re the only university in the state, which means you will get unparalleled access to industry connections through our institution’s partnerships.
Want to know more about Bachelor of Fine Arts With Honours? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Detroit, United States of America