Advanced Geotechnical Engineering MScUniversity of Surrey
Advanced Geotechnical Engineering MSc
All available course dates
Advanced Geotechnical Engineering MSc
Geotechnical engineering – the mechanics of the earth’s materials – is a sector with a huge global skills shortage, meaning that well-trained geotechnical engineers are in high demand.
Our Advanced Geotechnical Engineering MSc will equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to pursue an exciting career in the geotechnical engineering sector, including offshore and earthquake geotechnics.
You’ll be taught in highly specialised facilities such as our geotechnical lab, which has recently benefitted from a £450,000 investment, by academics who are leaders in their field. Throughout your course, you’ll also benefit from the expert knowledge of specialist guest speakers, including visiting academics and engineers working in the industry.
A minimum of 60 per cent in a UK honours degree in civil engineering (or a closely related subject) accredited to CEng, with a minimum of 60 per cent in Soil Mechanics or Geotechnics.
Alternatively, a minimum of 70 per cent in a UK honours degree in civil engineering (or a closely related subject) accredited to IEng, plus approval from the relevant institution. We'll also accept a recognised equivalent international qualification. At least five years of relevant industrial experience or a professional qualification (for example, CEng) will also be considered if you don't meet these requirements.
English language requirements
IELTS Academic: 6.5 overall with 6.0 in Writing and 5.5 in each other element.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Advanced Geotechnical Engineering MSc (Full-time and Part-time)
- Advanced soil mechanics
- Applied chemistry and microbiology
- Construction management, administration & law
- Durability of bridges and structures
- Energy geotechnics
- Global challenges in water and health
- Infrastructure financing
- Infrastructure systems, interdependencies and resilience
- Prestressed concrete bridge design
- Steel building design
- Structural mechanics & finite elements
- Wastewater treatment and sewerage
- Water treatment
- Building information modelling
- Concrete building design
- Corporate and project management
- Deep foundations and earth retaining structures
- Earthquake engineering
- Geographical information science and remote sensing
- Infrastructure asset management
- Soil-structure interaction
- Steel and composite bridge design
- Sustainability and infrastructure
- Water resources management and hydraulic modelling
- Dissertation Project
The course is offered in both full-time (1-year) and part-time (5-years) study options.
- Tuition fees for UK/EU students: £10,300
- Tuition fees for Overseas students: £21,000
- Tuition fees for UK/EU students: £1,100
- Tuition fees for Overseas students: £2,300
- Tuition fees for UK/EU students: £10,600
- Tuition fees for Overseas students: £21,700
- Tuition fees for UK/EU students: £1,200
- Tuition fees for Overseas students: £2,400
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Our masters courses in civil engineering open up a huge range of career opportunities, not only with major consultancies and contractors but across other sectors such as management and business consultancy.
Recent MSc graduates have been employed by Atkins, A-squared Studio, WSP, AECOM, Amey, Highways England, Mott MacDonald, Laing O’Rourke, ARUP, Arcadis, Fluor, Capita Real Estate and Infrastructure, and Peter Brett Associates.
About this institute
University of Surrey
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. With a beautiful and vibrant campus, we provide exceptional teaching and practical learning to inspire and empower our students for personal and...
Want to know more about Advanced Geotechnical Engineering MSc? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Pretoria, South Africa