Games Design (With Professional Placement)University of Suffolk
Games Design (With Professional Placement)
All available course dates
About this program
Games Design (With Professional Placement)
- You will have access to dedicated game development labs containing high specification, ultrawide workstations, with latest games industry software.
- Transform your game development projects by getting access to our state of the art Games Research Lab, equipping you with our wide range of virtual reality headsets (e.g. HTC Vive Cosmos, Oculus Rift, Quest 2), EEG and Neuralfeedback kits for measuring and controlling brain activity, Smartsuit Pro mocap suits, Leap Motion & Myo armbands for gesture control, mobile devices such as phones and tablets, 3D Scanners, 3D printers, laser cutters and Cintiq Graphics Tablets.
- You will work collaboratively with students on the BSc (Hons) Games Programming, and with other year groups on the BA (Hons) Games Design.
- The academic team and The Ipswich Games Hub will help you apply for Tranzfuser funding to publish your own game. The Miracle Tea team secured £25,000 for their game Ruya, which has since been released on iOS and Android. Other winning teams since then include Monkey Hat Games and Biscuit Sandwich Games.
- Join an active student game jam community. Notable games include Dreamhopper, winner of the Jamfuser game jam.
- Our Visiting Professor of Games Design is David Parlett, who is known internationally as a game designer, author, games historian and consultant
2022-23 entry; 96 UCAS tariff points (or above), CCC (A-Level), MMM (BTEC)
2023-24 entry; 112 UCAS tariff points (or above), BBC (A-Level), DMM (BTEC)
All applicants are required to hold GCSE English and Maths at Grade C/4 or above. Applicants who do not hold these qualifications may be considered on an individual basis based upon their overall application and the course applied for.
IELTS 6.0 overall (minimum 5.5 in all components) where English is not the students' first language.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Design Methods 1 (Requisite)
- Design Methods 2 (Requisite)
- Introduction to Critical Games Studies (Requisite)
- Introduction to Game Development (Requisite)
- Group Project (Requisite)
- Introduction to Non Digital Game Design (Requisite)
- Advanced Design Methods (Mandatory)
- Digital Scripting for Games (Mandatory)
- Games Research Methods (Mandatory)
- Managing Games Production (Mandatory)
- Rapid Game Development (Optional)
- Level Design (Optional)
- 3D Modelling for Games (Optional)
- Honours Project (Mandatory)
- Game Development Masterclass (Requisite)
- Portfolio (Requisite)
- Professional Practice (Requisite)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Three years full-time. Four and a half to nine years part-time.
- UK Full-time Tuition Fee: £9,250 p.a
- UK Part-time Tuition Fee: £1,454 per 20 credits (please contact the Student Centre for further information)
- Full-time International Tuition fee: £14,598 p.a
Our Ipswich-based students have worked on games such as Horizon Zero Dawn, Killzone Mercenary, Watchdogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Star Citizen.
Graduates from the BA (Hons) Games Design degree have been employed by top games studios in the UK and abroad. Graduate destinations include: Ubisoft (Romania), Guerilla Games, Rockstar,Electronic Arts (Romania), Spil Games (Netherlands), Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Splash Damage, Sliding Pixel, The Imaginati, Dreadnought Studios, DGForm (Italy), Imaginarium Studios, War Hungry Games, Firelight Games, Betdigital, Aeria Games (Germany), GmbH, Techland, Hammer Studio (China).
Graduates have been employed in a wide variety of job roles within the games industry, demonstrating the high standard and flexibility of the course content. Positions which our graduates have achieved after graduation include: Level Designer, Lead Game designer, Technical Designer, Assistant Producer, Game Designer, Gameplay programmer, Quest Designer, Game Designer, QA Games Tester, QA Team Lead, Content Designer, Games Master, Product Co-ordinator, Environment Artist, Games Artist, 3D Artist, Assistant Pipeline Director, Indie Developer.
Games design graduates have been employed in technical and design roles by Derivco, Conga, Coderus, Orbital and Media, Betdigital Ltd.
There are regular opportunities for internships linked to your course of study. These are made available through companies in the video games industry and other creative sectors.
You will have access to a free games business startup course delivered by the Ipswich Games Hub. The course will help you understand the requirements for marketing , accounting and legal issues for starting your own games company. In collaboration with the Ipswich Games Hub, the games course team have a proven track record with assisting students applying for funding to publish their own game.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Suffolk
The University of Suffolk is a transformational university. Being one of the newest in the UK, the University of Suffolk is not restricted by tradition and embraces change, to produce graduates who can easily adapt to a changing world. Taking...
Why study at University of Suffolk
We're confident you would quickly feel at home on our beautiful waterfront campus along the famous sunshine coast of Suffolk. Our campus is stylish, modern and compact, surrounded by restaurants, bars, clubs, cinemas, as well as historic and cultural hotspots. Established in 2016, we are one of the newest universities in the country, which enables us to be dynamic and forward thinking in our approach. Our students are at the heart of everything we do, and we pride ourselves on consistently featuring within the top 10 for 'student experience' polls. Our students are taught by expert academics and industry professionals rather than graduate teachers, which is common practice in many universities. Teaching typically takes place in small classes and is supplemented by all the contact time and personal support you need.
- Choose from over 200 Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes recognised all over the world
- Live in a multi-cultural student town, located only 1 hour 20 minutes away from London by train
- Enjoy living and studying on a small yet functional campus, where class sizes are purposely designed to ensure your academic experience is intimate and personal to you
- Our wonderful team of staff will support your entire Academic journey – from Application through to graduation – and everything in between
Want to know more about Games Design (With Professional Placement)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!