MSc Translation and Conference Interpreting
This course covers two professional areas that are becoming increasingly vital to public bodies and private businesses alike: translation and conference interpreting. In addition to extensive practice in both activities, using industry-standard facilities and software, it will provide a grounding on the state of the art in the discipline, which will combine current debates and professional skills.
This program will equip you with the skills that you need to work from two languages into English, or from one language into and out of English. You must have native or near-native competence in English and in Chinese. A minimum of a second class honours degree or equivalent is required. Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant relevant work or life experience are encouraged to apply.
The inclusion of an optional module will also afford you the opportunity to acquire subject specific knowledge in areas such as linguistics, policy making, international journalism and applied skills for teaching and research. This will help ensure you are well equipped to develop a career in translation and interpreting, as well as to conduct further research.
A minimum of a second class honours degree (2:1 preferred) or equivalent. Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant relevant work or life experience are encouraged to apply.
You must have certified native or near-native competence in English and in Chinese.
English Language Requirement
If English is not your first language you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your English language skills:
- IELTS Indicator 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each sub-skill
- Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE) 185 overall with a minimum of 176 in each sub-skill
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE) 185 overall with a minimum of 180 in each sub-skill
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) 67 overall with a minimum of 62 in each sub-skill
- IBT TOEFL 94 overall with 19 in reading, 24 in writing, 20 in listening and 22 in speaking
- IBT TOEFL Special Home Edition Test 94 overall with 19 in reading, 24 in writing, 20 in listening and 22 in speaking
- TOEFL ITP Plus for China minimum 627 overall, 64 in listening, 64 in structure and written expression, 63 in reading and C1 in speaking
- Trinity ISE III Pass overall and in all sub-skills, ISE IV Pass overall and in all sub-skills
- Aptis (4 skills) CEFR C1 overall and B2 in all sub-skills
- Duolingo 115 overall with minimum of 105 in each sub-skill
- LanguageCert International ESOL C1 Expert - Pass with minimum 33 in each sub-skill
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Mode of study: part-time, full-time, campus based, stand-alone modules
- Tuition fee for UK students: £7,700
- Tuition fee for EU students: £16,775
- Tuition fee for Overseas (non-EU) students: £16,775
Award: Masters / MSc, Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Undertake consecutive interpreting assignments in your chosen language combination(s).
- Undertake simultaneous interpreting assignments in your chosen language combination(s).
- Undertake translation tasks in your chosen language combination(s).
- Demonstrate that you can apply professional and ethical standards to your work as a translator/interpreter.
- Evidence the ability to conduct research and documentation activities to underpin your practice as a translator/interpreter.
- Monitor your own performance and undertake continuous professional development as appropriate.
Our MSc is a fantastic gateway into a career in translation and conference interpreting. The transferable skills that you will develop will set you apart from the crowd. The career options that will be open to you include:
- Translation Project Manager
About this institute
University of Stirling
The University of Stirling is an international university committed to helping students make a difference in the world. We’re passionate about creating impact in everything we do - addressing real societal issues, providing solutions, and helping to shape communities. Based...
Want to know more about MSc Translation and Conference Interpreting? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...