About this program
International Political Theory MLitt
The MLitt in International Political Theory provides students with a dynamic and systematic understanding of how political theory can be brought to bear on international politics and world affairs. It is not a general international relations or international relations theory program but a specialised program in political thought.
The MLitt in International Political Theory is a one-year taught postgraduate program run by the School of International Relations. The program commences in September and ends the following August.
- A strong 2.1 Honours degree. If you studied your first degree outside the UK, see the international entry requirements.
- English language proficiency.
The qualifications listed are indicative minimum requirements for entry. Some academic Schools will ask applicants to achieve significantly higher marks than the minimum. Obtaining the listed entry requirements will not guarantee you a place, as the University considers all aspects of every application including, where applicable, the writing sample, personal statement, and supporting documents.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Analysis and Interpretation in International Political Theory
- Texts in International Political Theory
Here is a sample of optional modules that may be offered.
International Political Theory-focused options:
- African Political Thought
- Global Constitutionalism
- Agency and Strategy in Non-Western Political Thought
- Migration and Political Theory
- Politics After the ‘Death of God’
- 'Reason of State': Origin, Nature and Career of a Concept
- Theories of Friendship and Enmity
- Topics in International Political Thought
Other MLitt options in the School of International Relations:
- Gender and Terrorism
- Political Economy of Conflict
- Political Order and Violence in the Middle East
- Terrorism and Liberal Democracy
- Religion and International Politics
- Security and Justice Institutions in World Politics
- Social Movements, Revolutions and Authoritarianism in North Africa
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Modules are taught through a mixture of lectures, seminars and tutorials.
Many graduates continue their education by enrolling in a PhD program at St Andrews.
Students who graduate from the MLitt in International Political Theory go on to work in various professional fields including:
- policy research and consultancy
- international organisations
- civil service
Message the school
About this institute
University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is Scotland’s first University. As a 600 year-old institution, we are known across the globe for our world leading quality and depth of research. For six centuries some of the world’s brightest and most promising...
Why study at University of St Andrews
Studying in St Andrews is a unique and rewarding experience that will take your skills and knowledge to the next level.
Students at St Andrews have access to some of the world’s best professors and lecturers and a degree from the University of St Andrews is sought after by employers around the world.
In addition to award-winning teaching and research, the University of St Andrews has an array of facilities which result in high levels of student satisfaction and a world class reputation.
Want to know more about International Political Theory MLitt? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!