Integrated Master's Degree in Physics with Mathematics
Mathematics is the fundamental language of physics and underpins the theories that explain our universe. With this master's degree, you’ll develop a profound understanding of the subject and learn how to apply it to solve problems.
The MPhys Physics with Mathematics degree combines robust training in experimental and theoretical physics with in-depth study in related fields of mathematics.
Optional modules enable you to go deeper into areas of mathematics and physics that interest you, such as quantum physics, gravitational waves, general relativity and black holes.
You’ll also master high-level analytical, modelling and computing techniques. This will open up a huge range of career options, or prepare you for continued research with a PhD.
The degree is delivered in partnership with Southampton’s highly regarded Mathematical Sciences department.
Your lecturers will include academics from the cross-disciplinary Southampton Theory Astrophysics and Gravity (STAG) Research Centre, who are involved in world-leading research in fields where mathematics and physics meet, such as particle physics and cosmology.
High-performing students are eligible to apply to one of our flagship programs. These are not available for direct entry, but you may apply for them at the end of the second year.
- AAA-AAB including grades AA in mathematics/further mathematics and physics, with a pass in the physics Practical
- AABC including grades AA in mathematics/further mathematics and physics, with a pass in the physics Practical
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 36-34 points overall, with 18-17 points required at Higher Level, including 6 at Higher Level in Mathematics (Analysis and Approaches or Applications and Interpretation) and 6 at Higher Level in physics
- D in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus grades AA in A-level mathematics/further mathematics and physics, with a pass in the physics Practical
- We do not accept the BTEC Diploma
- We do not accept the BTEC Extended Diploma
- Applicants with a BTEC Extended Diploma or the BTEC Diploma should apply for the Engineering/Physics/Mathematics/Geophysics Foundation Year
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Energy and Matter
- Linear Algebra for Physics
- Mathematical Methods For Physical Scientists 1b
- Mathematical Methods for Physical Scientists 1a
- Motion and Relativity
- Physics Skills - Programming and Data Analysis
- Physics Skills 1
- Physics Skills 2
- Waves, Light and Quanta
- Classical Mechanics
- Partial Differential Equations
- Physics from Evidence I
- Quantum Physics
- Statistical Mechanics
- Vector Calculus and Complex Variable
- Wave Physics
- Atomic Physics
- Computer Techniques in Physics
- Crystalline Solids
- Nuclei and Particles
- Numerical Methods
- Physics from Evidence II
- Relativity, Black Holes and Cosmology
- Theories of Matter, Space and Time
- Advanced General Relativity
- MPhys Final Year Synoptic Examination
- MPhys Project
- Modelling with Differential Equations
You must also choose from the following modules in year 4:
- Advanced Quantum Physics
- Coherent Light, Coherent Matter
- Light and Matter
- Photons in Astrophysics
- Physics of the Early Universe
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- UK, Channel Island, Isle of Man and Irish students: £9,250 per year.
- EU and International students: £22,760 per year.
- Final award: Master of Physics (MPhys)
- Name of Award: Physics with Maths
- Interim Exit awards:
- Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc (Hons))
- Certificate of Health Studies (CertHE)
- Diploma of Health Studies (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 7
You’ll be able to demonstrate transferable skills such as
- computation and coding
- statistical analysis
- Communication skills
- project management skills.
A physics degree and advanced mathematical skills open up a wide range of career options. Your problem-solving, computing and communication skills will impress recruiters.
Many graduates from this program continue their research at PhD level or work in the private and public sectors, including: government, defence, finance, business, and industry.
You’ll also be prepared for roles in industrial research, financial markets, and many other sectors that rely on statistical analysis or cryptography expertise.
Roles our graduates have gone on to include:
- bioinformatics specialist
- data analyst
- government science policy officer
- medical physicist
- satellite engineer
- science communicator
- systems analyst
- web developer
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
Want to know more about Integrated Master's Degree in Physics with Mathematics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...