Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy and Mathematics
Some of the greatest academic minds have been both mathematicians and philosophers. On this joint BA Philosophy and Mathematics degree you’ll explore the relationship between the 2 disciplines. Both develop the ability to think abstractly and analyse complex ideas.
The critical and logical skills you’ll develop are sought after by a wide range of employers and will prove invaluable to your future career.
In your degree you can:
- develop an understanding of philosophical questions such as ethics, reason and responsibility
- gain a thorough understanding of key mathematical areas, including linear algebra, calculus, statistics and differential equations
- apply philosophical thought to language, morality, sex and other important aspects of life
- learn skills in mathematical investigation and research
- discover how to conduct and present research
You’ll be taught in small groups in a relaxed and friendly environment, and benefit from the expertise of academic staff whose research feeds directly into the course content.
Compulsory modules provide a strong grounding in both subjects, while optional modules give you the freedom to pursue your own interests in topics as varied as metaphysics, probability and Islamic philosophy.
You can take modules from other disciplines such as anthropology or psychology, studying a language, or choosing from a range of cross-disciplinary modules. These include topics such as social enterprise, risk management, and living and working on the web.
ABB including Mathematics (minimum grade A)
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 32 points overall with 16 at Higher Level, including 6 points at Higher Level in Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches (preferred mathematics module)
- Distinction, Distinction in the BTEC Extended Diploma plus A in A level Mathematics.
- Distinction, Distinction in the BTEC Diploma plus A in A level Mathematics
- Distinction in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus AB to include A in A level Mathematics
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Knowledge and Mind
- Linear Algebra I
- Multivariable Calculus
- Reason and Argument
You must also choose from the following modules in year 1:
- Ancient Greek Philosophy
- Dynamics and Relativity
- Existentialism and its Origins
- Faith and Reason
- Linear Algebra II
- Operational Research I and Mathematical Computing
- Puzzles about Art and Literature
- Appearance and Reality
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics
- Partial Differential Equations
You must also choose from the following modules in year 2:
- Aesthetics and the Philosophy of Art
- Epistemology: Knowledge and Evidence
- Ethics of Global Poverty
- Fields and Fluids
- Geometry and Topology
- Group Theory
- Linear Algebra II
- Metaethics: Facts and Feelings in Ethics
- Metaphysics: The Nature of Reality
- Moral Philosophy
- Philosophy of Religion
- The Mind, The Brain, and Consciousness
- Mathematics Project
- Philosophy Dissertation
You must also choose from the following modules in year 3:
- Advanced Aesthetics: Aesthetic Creativity
- Advanced Partial Differential Equations
- Classical Indian Philosophy
- Fiction and Fictionalism
- Graph Theory
- Happiness and Wellbeing
- Hilbert Spaces
- How the Arts Work: A Practical Introduction to Cultural Economics
- Integral Transform Methods
- Mathematical Biology
- Numerical Methods
- Operational Research
- Operational Research II
- Other Minds
- Philosophy of Sex
- Puzzles and Paradoxes
- Relativity, Black Holes and Cosmology
- Vector Calculus and Complex Variable
- Wittgenstein's Later Philosophy
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- The full tuition price for local/UK students is £9,250
- The price for International/Non-UK students is £19,300
- Final award: Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA (Hons))
- Name of Award: Philosophy and Mathematics
- Interim Exit awards:
- Certificate of Health Studies (CertHE)
- Diploma of Health Studies (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
Our philosophy and maths degrees are also a good foundation for further study at masters or PhD level.
You’ll graduate with a wide range of transferable skills such as research, critical thinking, analysis, and team working. Career skills are embedded at every stage of our courses and certain modules offer specific teaching in reasoning and communication.
Our philosophy and maths graduates have secured roles as diverse as:
- project manager
- human resources (HR) coordinator
- investment analyst
- digital marketing coordinator
- tax consultant
- data analyst
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy and Mathematics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Mendrisio , Switzerland