Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Arts
Learn to create innovative and effective visual communications using a variety of physical and digital media, exploring the fields of graphic design, illustration, motion design and photography. Opportunities to engage with external practitioners are integral to the programme, giving you an in-depth understanding of professional practice and enhancing your employability.
Working in our superb studio spaces, you’ll develop the practical and critical skills of a graphic artist and use research insights to guide your design. Our strong links with industry ensure the curriculum is at the forefront of current creative practice.
In your first semester you’ll work across 4 specialist pathways:
- graphic design - with a focus on creating consistent visual communications across different media; from print and editorial design, typography, branding and advertising through to user experience (UX) design and emerging media
- illustration - the art of visual storytelling for editorial publications, publishing, branding, games, digital animation and much more
- motion design - moving image for video and animation, and visual communication across multi-screen and interactive environments
- photography - exploring commercial, editorial and fine art approaches
Having gained a deeper understanding of different disciplines, you’ll then choose a specific pathway as a focus for your practice.
You’ll be encouraged to prepare entries for prestigious international competitions, such as the Penguin Student Design Awards and the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) Student Design Awards.
Six of our recent students were awarded professional membership of the prestigious International Society of Typographic Designers (ISTD). Another student won a £10,000 RSA award to develop her own design idea.
BBB including an art or design based subject
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 30 points overall with 15 points at Higher Level including an art or design based subject
- Distinction, Distinction, Merit in the BTEC Extended Diploma in an art or design based subject
- Distinction, Distinction in the BTEC Diploma plus B in an A level including an art or design based subject
- Distinction in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus BB in two A levels including an art or design based subject
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- An Introduction to Graphic Arts
- Historical and Critical Contexts
- Research in Contemporary Issues
- Specialist Principles
- Critical Reflection of Specialism
- Self-Initiated Project
- Specialist Practice and Skills
- Study Exchange for Graphic Arts
You must also choose from the following modules in year 2:
- Business Skills for the Creative Industries
- Creative Futures
- Creative Writing
- Image and Branding
- Sight and Sound
- Visual Culture
- Course structure
- External Projects
- Final Major Project (Graphic Arts)
- Graphic Arts Professional and Critical Contexts
- Professional Planning and Evaluation
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- UK, Channel Island, Isle of Man and Irish students: £9,250 per year
- EU and international students: £18,520 per year
- Final award: Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA (Hons))
- Name of awards:
- Graphic Arts
- Graphic Arts: Graphic Design
- Graphic Arts: Illustration
- Graphic Arts: Motion Design
- Graphic Arts: photography
- Interim Exit awards:
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
As a graduate of our graphic arts degree, you’ll be a highly skilled creative practitioner, ready to take your place in one of the fastest growing areas of the economy.
Our alumni work as:
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Arts? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
High Wycombe, England