Bachelor's Degree in Geography
Develop an in-depth understanding of the processes that created the physical world in this hands-on, BSc Geography course. It's distinct from our BA Geography course, which focuses on human geography. This course will prepare you for work in a range of fields, from economic development to environmental management, engineering or finance.
Explore and study a range of human-impacted environments whilst you address current and future sustainability challenges. You’ll learn how to 'read' a landscape, analyse geographical data and use satellite images to understand our dynamic and changeable world.
As part of this course you can:
- study specialist computing and geographical information systems
- undertake fieldwork trips to places like Tenerife, Switzerland and Cambodia
- use specialist facilities including a purpose-built teaching lab and research-grade field equipment
- enhance your degree by studying one of 33 different minor subjects in an unrelated academic area (e.g. you can graduate with a degree in BSc Geography with Applied Economics)
- discover a new culture by studying abroad for a semester at one of our partner institutions (including Canada and Australia)
- boost your employability by spending a year in employment
You’ll analyse environments that range from coastal to volcanic as you discover how past climate change might hold the key to our planet's future.
During your second year you'll spend a week in Tenerife with your peers. Here, you'll learn about life on a volcanic island and how to design and execute your own field project. This is compulsory and there is no cost to attend.
We use the latest research to underpin our teaching. Our small-group approach means you'll spend plenty of time with academics and fellow students.
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with minimum 34 points overall with 17 points at Higher Level.
We are committed to ensuring that all learners with the potential to succeed, regardless of their background, are encouraged to apply to study with us. The additional information gained through contextual data allows us to recognise a learner’s potential to succeed in the context of their background and experience. Applicants who are highlighted in this way will be made an offer which is lower than the typical offer for that programme.
There are no additional requirements
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- A Global World
- Curiosity, Creativity and Communication; Studying Geography at University
- Dangerous World
- Dynamic Landscapes
- Society, Culture and Space
- The Earth System
You must also choose from the following modules in year 1:
- Ecology & Evolution
- Exploring Other Cultures
- Introduction to International Relations
- Population and Society
- The Living Earth Non-GY
- Wonderful things: World history in 40 objects
- Concepts and Methods for Environmental Management
- Exploring Physical Environments: Overseas Fieldcourse
- Introductory Geographic Information Systems
- Remote Sensing for Earth Observation
You must also choose from the following modules in year 2:
- Advanced Geographical Information Systems
- Coastal Landscapes and Human Interactions
- Cultural Geography
- Economic Geography
- Geographies of Wellbeing
- Global Climate Change: Science, Impacts and Policy
- Global Health
- Global Water Resources
- Introduction to Energy in The Environment
- Quaternary Environmental Change
- Geography Research Project
You must also choose from the following modules in year 3:
- Adapting to Climate Change and Weather Hazards
- Advanced Geographical Information Systems
- Arctic and Alpine Landscapes in Transition
- Desert Landscapes: Modelling and Measuring Aeolian Systems
- Environment and Health
- Evolutionary Economic Geography
- Field-based Geographical Research
- Gender, Sexuality and Space
- Geographies of Social Justice, Welfare and Rights
- Glaciers and Glaciation
- Global Health
- Migration and Development
- The Creative Economy
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- UK, Channel Island, Isle of Man and Irish students: £9,250 per year
- EU and international students: £22,760 per year
- Final award: Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc (Hons))
- Name of award: Geography
- Interim Exit awards:
- Bachelor of Science (Ordinary)
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
Our graduates are always in demand for geography careers in:
- environmental management and consultancy
- urban and rural planning
- economic development work
They also find work in a diverse range of fields beyond geography, such as engineering, finance and management.
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Geography? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!