Bachelor's Degree in Civil EngineeringUniversity of Southampton
About this program
Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering
Civil engineering is all around us, from buildings and road planning, to water supply and coastal defence. This BEng Civil Engineering course provides a solid grounding in civil engineering design and application. We'll give you the skills to design and build creative solutions to real-world challenges. You'll develop the skills needed to become a successful engineer.
On this course you’ll learn essential principles, such as:
- materials and fluids
- structural design
You’ll study construction management and the real-world applications of civil engineering. This covers topics such as risk management and health and safety.
You'll have access to our extensive facilities, including:
- National Infrastructure Laboratory
- design studios
- professional manufacturing centre
- hydraulics and geotechnics labs
- heavy structures facilities
Design is integral to our courses, and we offer opportunities for laboratory sessions and design projects. These are based on the requirements of a real site and a real client. Our Design Show blog has examples of our students’ design work.
As part of this course you can:
- apply analytical techniques and problem-solving skills to engineering problems
- develop technical design skills, such as computer-aided design (CAD), model-making, and computer programming
- take part in the Constructionarium challenge, where teams build scaled-down versions of famous structures
- showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement.
A*AA including grades A*A in mathematics and an additional required subject (in any order)
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 38 points overall with 18 points required at Higher Level, including 6 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches or 7 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation, and 6 at Higher Level in an additional required subject
- D in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus A*A in A-level mathematics and an additional required subject (in any order)
- We do not accept the BTEC Extended Diploma without additional A-levels
- We do not accept the BTEC Diploma without additional A-levels
- Applicants with a BTEC Extended Diploma or the BTEC Diploma should apply for the Engineering/Physics/Mathematics/Geophysics Foundation Year
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Civil Engineering Fundamentals
- Design and Computing for Civil Engineers
- Mathematics for Engineering and the Environment
- Mechanics, Structures and Materials
- City Infrastructure Design Project
- Liveable Cities
- Mathematics for Engineering and the Environment Part II
- Numerical Methods
- Soil Mechanics
- Structural Analysis
- Structural Design and Materials
- Design 3
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Highway and Traffic Engineering
- Individual Project
- Structural Engineering
You must also choose from the following modules in year 3:
- Environmental Hydraulics
- Human Factors in Engineering
- Railway Engineering and Operations
- Urban Design
- Urban Water and Wastewater Engineering
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- The full tuition price for local/UK students is £9,250
- The price for International/Non-UK students is £23,720
- Final award: Bachelor of Engineering (BEng)
- Name of award: Civil Engineering
- Interim Exit awards:
- Bachelor of Science (Ordinary)
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
This course will put you on the path to becoming a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and is accredited by:
- Institution of Civil Engineers
- Institution of Structural Engineers
- Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation
- Institute of Highway Engineers
You'll graduate from this course with the knowledge and skills for a successful career with civil engineering companies in the industry. You'll find excellent employment opportunities with:
- local authorities
- regulatory authorities
The transferable skills you'll develop are also valued by many other employers.
Our graduates have gone on to work in roles such as:
- civil engineers
- structural engineers
- transport planners
- coastal engineers
- design engineers
- flood risk officers
Message the school
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
University of Southampton
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!