About this program
What is Sociology? Sociology, as an academic discipline, is the study of social life, focusing on society, the individual in society, and social change. Using various research methodologies, sociology offers descriptions as well as explanations for particular social realities, which may guide social policy initiatives and programs for social change. At The University of South Alabama, the sociology program concentrates on crime and deviance, environmental sociology, family and aging, gender and sexuality, medical sociology, religion, social psychology, social stratification and mobility, and work and labor markets. We strive to improve our social world within both local and global communities.
Sociology Program Mission: At the University of South Alabama, the mission of the Sociology Undergraduate Program is to (1) to teach the student core sociological perspectives, (2) to expose the student to a range of sociological topics for investigation, (3) to provide the essential skills for social research and analysis, and (4) to prepare the student for the Master of Arts in Sociology or for an applied career in professional settings.
Chat live with students from USA / South
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of South Alabama? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- Official high school transcript reflecting a minimum 2.50 GPA
- Official ACT or SAT scores: a minimum ACT superscore of 19 OR a minimum SAT (critical reading + math only) score of 900 (if taken prior to March 2016) OR a minimum SAT (Evidence-based reading and writing + math only) score of 990 (if take March 2016 or after)
At this time, the University of South Alabama is accepting self-reported information that will be considered with your application for admission. All the information will be verified and your admission will be contingent on receipt of official documents.
Required Academic Core Courses:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of social science
- 3 years of Math- Must include Algebra I and two higher level math courses (for example: Algebra II, Algebra w/ Finance, Algebraic Connections, Geometry, Trigonometry, Analytical Geometry, Pre-Calculus, or other higher level math courses will be considered)
- 3 years of science (At least two of the sciences must include labs)
- 3 years of advanced electives (Courses chosen from any of the four core areas above and may include foreign language)
The Alabama High School Diploma with Advanced Endorsement meets all University of South Alabama core requirements. The Credit Based Diploma awarded by Alabama High Schools is accepted; however, students must meet all high school core requirements listed above.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- In-State: 329.00 per credit hour
- Out-of-State: 658.00 per credit hour
Careers in Sociology: The American Sociological Association (ASA) provides considerable support and resources for students with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology: “Employers today want to hire people who have creativity, innovation, and critical thinking skills. They want to hire people who have multi-cultural and global understandings, strong math and science skills, and excellent written expression. Studying sociology has helped you gain the skills you need.”
- American Sociological Association
- Southern Sociological Society
- Mid-South Sociological Association
- Society for the Study of Social Problems
- Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology
About this institute
University of South Alabama
The University of South Alabama is a comprehensive, global research and teaching university that provides our students with an exceptional education in business, the liberal arts, education, engineering, computing, the sciences and health care. Located in Mobile, Alabama on the...
Why study at University of South Alabama
State-of-the-art labs and classrooms, small class sizes, international accreditation, scholarships, proximity to the beach, affordability
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America