University Diploma in Theology (DipTheol)University of Pretoria - Faculty of Theology and Religion
About this program
University Diploma in Theology (DipTheol)
This program offers general theological education to students who have passed the National Senior Certificate with admission to diploma studies. It also provides a basis for denominational programs, formation and practical training with a view to the ministry.
- The admission requirements apply to students who apply for admission to the University of Pretoria with a National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examination Board (IEB) qualifications.
- Applicants with qualifications other than the abovementioned should refer to Brochure: Undergraduate program Information 2022: Qualifications other than the NSC and IEB/
- Citizens from countries other than South Africa (applicants who are not South African citizens) should also refer to Brochure: Newcomer’s Guide 2021.
- School of Tomorrow (SOT), Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) and General Education Development Test (GED): The University of Pretoria no longer accepts qualifications awarded by these institutions.
- National Certificate (Vocational) (NCV) Level 4: The University of Pretoria may consider NCV candidates, provided they meet the exemption for bachelor’s status criteria and the program requirements.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Curriculum: Year 1
- Academic information management 111
- Academic information management 121
- Academic literacy 110
- Academic literacy for Theology 120
- Academic orientation 105
- Introduction to the New Testament 110
- Gospels: Mark and Matthew 120
- Introduction to the world of the Old Testament 110
- Narratives in the Old Testament 120
- Practical Theology: Introduction and insertion 110
- Theory of religion 110
- Kaleidoscope of religions 120
- Introduction to the study of religion 120
- Faith and stories 110
- History of Christianity in Southern Africa 120
Curriculum: Year 2
- Gospels: Luke-Acts 210
- Johannine literature 220
- Old Testament exegesis and former prophets 210
- Poetry and apocalypses 220
- Practical Theology: Understanding and interpreting I 210
- Practical Theology: Understanding and interpreting II 220
- Dynamics of religion 210
- Introduction, key concepts and topics in missiology 210
- Theologies of the South 220
- Faith and beliefs 210
- Being human 220
- Theology in history 223
Curriculum: final year
- Community engagement 300
- Paul 310
- Deutero- and Trito-Pauline writings 320
- The Pentateuch 310
- The Prophets 320
- Practical Theology: Discerning and imagining 310
- Practical Theology: Living the faith 320
- Mission in practice 310
- Church planting 320
- Church and community 310
- Living as Christians 313
- Contemporary theological discourses I 320
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Undergraduate Tuition fees per faculty in 2022
- 1st year: 38 000 - 50 000 + 15% VAT
- 2nd year: 38 000 - 42 000 + 15% VAT
- 3rd year: 38 000 - 43 000 + 15% VAT
Total credits: 379
Message the school
About this institute
University of Pretoria - Faculty of Theology and Religion
The Faculty of Theology and Religion at the University of Pretoria is one of the leading theological institutions in Africa and is known for its relevant teaching and learning programmes, as well as its community engagement. As far as teaching...
Want to know more about University Diploma in Theology (DipTheol)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Pretoria, South Africa
Doctorate / PhD
St Andrews, Scotland
Diploma / certificate
Kirkland, United States of America