MMedVet in Equine Medicine in South Africa
The MMedVet Equine Medicine is a full-time postgraduate program run by the University of Pretoria. The Faculty of Veterinary Science is unique in South Africa and thus has an essential role in training veterinary and para-veterinary professionals. Graduates and research programs are vital in enhancing public and animal health, promoting bio-security and welfare, and ensuring production animals and pets are safe and sound.
Highlights of the program
- The Faculty of Veterinary Science is currently the only veterinary faculty in South Africa and the second oldest in Africa.
- Graduates of the Faculty are held in high esteem nationally and internationally, and its BVSc degree is recognized for registration purposes by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (London) and the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council.
- The Faculty trains veterinarians at undergraduate (BVSc degree program) and postgraduate level (Masters and PhD programs) and also offers a Diploma in Veterinary Nursing.
- The Faculty has 17 specialist laboratories rendering routine and specialist services to the Faculty and the community.
- A new skills lab was opened in 2015 to ensure that veterinary science students are able to perform proper diagnostic procedures. The lab is making use of various special simulators and models that are commercially available but is also creating its own models and practice stations. This, however does not replace practical training on live animals but enhances the skills and confidence levels of graduates.
- The Faculty’s Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital (OVAH) has world-class facilities, internationally accredited clinicians and skilled support staff.
The Faculty’s campus compares favorably with the best in the world. It has five academic departments, an Equine Research Centre and a Centre for Veterinary Wildlife Studies. The Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital (OVAH) provides state-of-the-art facilities for the clinical departments and is the focus of the Faculty’s clinical service rendering activities to the surrounding community. In addition it provides a national referral service. The University is also proud of recent new additions to the Faculty, which include a multidisciplinary laboratory, skills laboratory, student center and offices for student administration and service.
BVSc degree, BVScHons with specific modules required with a minimum of 60% in each module: FSL787, any three of the following: CHV704, DIM 783, DIM784, FAK877, GEN 703, KPA701
The University of Pretoria is the leading research university in South Africa and also one of the largest in the country. There are six different campuses and a number of other sites of operation such as the Pretoria Academic Hospital....
Want to know more about MMedVet Equine Medicine (Coursework)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.