About this program
MA Fashion and Textiles
Are you a creative and innovative thinker, with the ambition to lead the industry of the future? This MA Fashion and Textiles degree course will help you develop the skills and critical awareness to apply your creative talent in this exciting and constantly evolving industry.
On this course, you'll expand your core practice within a fashion or textile context. You'll identify and explore your own motivation and be challenged to create designs that respond to social and environmental issues. You'll also get the opportunity to develop and hone transferable skills, getting the confidence and tools to become a successful innovator and leader in your chosen field.
Whatever the direction and focus of your studies, we'll help you develop your creative, critical and practical skills to achieve considered and professional outcomes with commercial viability. Whether you're looking to move into a leadership or management role, or start your own business, this course will help you achieve your goals.
Qualifications or experience
- A minimum of a second-class honours degree in a related subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. An interview or online portfolio submission will be required as part of the selection process.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- A Question of Research
- Exploratory Practice
- Major Project
- Contextual Report
Or one of:
- Transdisciplinary Experiences
- Work-Based Learning
- Concept Development
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 1 year full-time
- 2 years part-time
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- Full time: £7,950
- Part time: £3,980
- Full time: £15,500
- Part time: £7,350
On this Fashion and Textiles degree course, you'll:
- Work in our creative studios and workshops with the latest tools and equipment
- Get guidance and support from industry-experienced academic tutors and highly skilled technicians
- Have opportunities to work across different disciplines or collaboratively on funded research and innovation projects
- Get professional experience through work-based learning
- Experiment with and combine traditional skills and techniques with new digital technologies
- Build on your prior learning, skills and expertise in experimental and innovative ways across fashion and textiles
- Produce a major project based on your own research, and supervised by academic, technical or business mentors
- Hear from inspirational guest speakers from various creative fields through the Enrichment Program
- Organise individual or group exhibitions or events
- Have opportunities to go on study visits to cultural and industrial hubs, in the UK and abroad
When you graduate from this course, you'll have the creative, critical, practical and business skills needed for a successful career.
What can you do with a Fashion and Textiles degree?
Career opportunities include:
- fashion/textile design
- starting your own business
- leadership/management within an existing business
- research and development in a leadership/management role within service and design-led industries
- product development
- PhD research/research related career
Message the school
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about MA Fashion and Textiles? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!