MA in English Studies
The goal of the degree program is to train experts in the field of English Studies who have sound theoretical, methodological and practical knowledge of the English language and can apply such knowledge in practice. They have thorough knowledge and understanding of the literature, culture and the social and political systems of English-speaking countries, including Great Britain, Ireland and Canada, the major trends and research fields of modern theoretical and applied linguistics and their results that mainly apply to the English language. They can apply the acquired knowledge in the business sector, the media, education, diplomacy, at institutions engaged in international relations, in tourism, the publishing sector, tender agencies, local, regional and national government offices and, in general, in the cultural public sphere.
The program is offered to full-time students as well as in the form of a correspondence program. The range of subjects taught in courses of two academic-hour-long sessions (lectures, seminars and consultations) per week is grouped as follows:
- Introductory courses in English linguistics, English history, literature and culture
- Two paths students choose from:
- specialization in English literature
- specialization in English applied linguistics
- Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
- TOEFL / IELTS certificate (not older than 2 years)
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- The System of English in a Historical Perspective (seminar)
- Research Methodology (seminar)
- Current Issues in Literary and Cultural Studies (lecture)
- Individual Differences in SLA (seminar)
- A Cultural History of Literary Genres in Britain (lecture and seminar)
- Metaphor and Thought (seminar)
- The Gothic and Fantastic in English Literature (seminar)
4th semester: electives
- New Englishes (seminar)
- English Corpus Linguistics (seminar)
- Modernism and Postmodernism in the Literatures of the British Isles (seminar)
Scholarships & funding
Scholarship options are available. For more information, please visit the website.
The graduates of the MA degree program are qualified for:
- carrying out tasks and filling positions that require special expertise and education; conceptual and abstract thinking; and practical skills in the field of English Studies,
- pursuing their profession in theory and practice in an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary manner,
- independent research,
- carrying out independent scholarly work and publishing original studies on the culture, history and literature of English-speaking nations and the English language,
- mediating between English-speaking and Hungarian-speaking cultures at a high level in cultural, economic, political, etc. areas,
- transmitting knowledge pertaining to the English language, English-speaking cultures and societies.
They are prepared to pursue studies in doctoral degree programs.
- Publishing editor
- Forensic Linguist
- Speech Therapist
- English as a Second Language Teacher
- Applied Linguistics Teacher
- Marketing and Communications Executive
About this institute
University of Pécs
The University of Pécs opened its doors in 1367, making it the first and oldest institution of its kind in Hungary. With longer and shorter interruptions, UP has been shaping the young academic society for over six-an-a-half centuries, not just...
Why study at University of Pécs
If you choose the University of Pécs, you will study at the oldest university in Hungary - founded in 1367 - having exceptionally wide-ranging experience and long-standing traditions in higher education. Besides being the oldest university in the country, the highly qualified academic staff is a guarantee that students are provided with the most up-to-date knowledge to the highest, internationally recognized standards and so earn a degree, which is highly competitive in today’s labour market.
Choose from our professionally relevant and high-quality programs for a tuition fee that represents great value for money, be awarded a valuable EU degree, and enjoy low living expenses, while getting a Central European experience!
Want to know more about MA in English Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...