Master degree in The Ancient Mediterranean World (History Archaeology and Art)University of Pavia
Master degree in The Ancient Mediterranean World (History Archaeology and Art)
All available course dates
About this program
This two-year English Language Master’s Degree course –The Ancient Mediterranean World: History, Archaeology and Art– will enable you to explore the past from a variety of thematic and analytical perspectives.
Pavia is surrounded by world-class prehistoric, Roman and medieval heritage and by several Museums with historic Egyptian, Greek, Etruscan and Roman collections. The course makes full use of our rich archaeological landscape, including regular study trips and fieldwork opportunities (archaeological excavations, surveys and Museums labs). Staff currently run surveys and excavations in Cappadocia (Turkey) and in several parts of Italy, including at two UNESCO world heritage sites (Hadrian’s Villa at Tivoli and Dos dell’Arca prehistoric settlement in Valle Camonica, both). Pavia University has signed official agreements in order to promote the study of ancient civilisations with several Institutions: New York University – ISAW, the Egyptian Museum of Turin, the Soprintendenza of Piedmont and the Istituto Villa Adriana-Villa d’Este at Tivoli, Rome.
Pavia University has a long and distinguished history of Mediterranean studies. We provide quality teaching in small groups which will enable you to develop first hand expertise with artefacts and historical documents(including papyri and inscriptions) that most students can only dream of.
Chat live with students from University of Pavia
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of Pavia? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- 3 year Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in humanities or social sciences, in one or more of the following areas: archaeology, classics, history, ancient languages, geography, history of art.
- B2 level English proficiency. The knowledge of the English Language will be verified during the admissions process.
- The number of positions dedicated to international non-EU students is defined on yearly basis.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The programme comprises four semesters of teaching (120 ECTS total), followed by a dissertation (36 ECTS) based on your chosen research area.
The degree programme encompasses theory, methodology and practice. You will undertake a varied schedule of learning, from lectures and seminars to fieldwork and museum activities and individual supervisions. Assessment includes essays, research projects, concluding with original research for a dissertation on a subject of your choosing.
The following is a sample of a typical study plan (120 ECTS):
- Ancient Western Asia: History and Civilizations;
- Greek History and Civilization;
- Roman History and Civilization;
- Egypt after the Pharaohs;
- Archaeology of Ancient Near East;
- Etruscans and Others;
- Greek and Roman Archaeology and Art;
- Reconstructing the Past: Methods and Tools;
- Archaeological and Museological Aspects of Ancient Egypt;
- Post-classical Archaeology;
- Prehistory and Proto-history of the Mediterranean;
- Greek Religion and Mythology;
- Filming the Past: the Pepla;
Scholarships & funding
- Fee Waiver: exemption from the payment of the University tuition fee;
- EDiSU Pavia scholarship: Edisu scholarship benefits for all level applicants include accommodation in a Residence; one meal per day at the canteens; a sum of money, according to the student’s economic situation.
- “STUDY IN ITALY” : The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs also assigns scholarships to applicants from specific countries, fulfilling some merit requirements and enrolling in Master’s Degree and PhD programs.
- Fees for EU and non-EU students regularly residing in Italy are based on students’ family income and on the field of study. They range from about 156 EUR to 3500 EUR per year.
- Non-Eu students with a valid study VISA can benefit from a flat rate, set on the basis of the Country of citizenship and the field of study. The flat rate ranges from 400 EUR to 3500 EUR per year.
At the end of the course students will be awarded with a Master Degree.
The Ancient Mediterranean World MA is designed to prepare you for a wide range of careers. Graduates will find work opportunities in the fields of professional archaeology, managing and promotion of archaeological heritage and cultural management. The Ancient Mediterranean World MA graduates will also be fully acknowledged and prepared for a possible continuation of the study, towards a Specialization School or a Ph.D. degree, for a career in the academic or research organizations, as well as in the national institutions (archaeological Superintendencies and museums).
Message the school
About this institute
University of Pavia
The University of Pavia is one of the world’s oldest Academic Institutions. It was founded in 825 as a “School of law, rhetoric and liberal arts” by King Lothair I, and in 1361 it was officially established as a “Universitas...
Why study at University of Pavia
Pavia: a city campus
Located in Lombardy Region, only 30 KM south of Milan, the City of Pavia offers a lively, genuine, cooperative and safe environment with a high quality of life. Pavia is the Capital of the fertile Province of Pavia, which is known for a variety of agricultural products -including wine, rice, cereals and dairy products- and is situated at the heart of Italy’s manufacturing district. Tts fascination remains intact with the center’s maze of narrow streets, ancient churches and elegant buildings, all bordered by the Ticino river. The countless events, festivals, exhibitions, concerts, meeting places and sports competitions combine to offer students a unique University experience.
Want to know more about Master degree in The Ancient Mediterranean World (History Archaeology and Art)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!