Bachelor's Degree in German
The German program at the University of Mount Union provides students with a unique opportunity to learn the language, history, literature, and culture of the German-speaking world. Students learn to communicate effectively in the language and to prepare themselves for careers in teaching, business, international relations, and the STEM fields. The German major is structured so students can complete a second major or minor in most disciplines and still have time to spend a semester or summer in a study abroad site in Germany. Graduates will be well prepared for success in our global world after completing the German degree requirements at the University of Mount Union.
GPA requirement: 2.5 (except for nursing, that requirement is a 3.3)
English proficiency (one of the following):
- TOEFL: 61 iBT
- IELTS: 5.5
- PTE: 55
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Elementary German I
- Elementary German II
- Issues in Contemporary German Culture and Society
- Austria, Switzerland, and German-Speaking Europe
- German Through Film
- Germans, Germany, and the American Experience
- Travel Seminar
- Topics in German Literature
- The Peoples and Cultures of Contemporary Germany
- Intermediate Conversation and Composition Practicum
- Advanced German Language, Literature, and Culture I
- Advanced German Language, Literature, and Culture II
- German for the Professions
- Special Topics in German Literature and Culture
- Methods of Teaching German
- Practicum in the Teaching of German
- Teaching German in the Elementary School
- Advanced German Conversation and Composition Practicum
- Advanced Special Topics
- Teaching Assistant Practicum – German
Scholarships & funding
A Mount Union education is accessible to students of all backgrounds thanks to the university's robust scholarship and grant offerings. There are several state and federal options available to assist you, as well as many Mount Union awards that are specific to your career at the university. For more information, please visit the Mount Union website.
Upon completion of this program, students will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Students will demonstrate the level of proficiency necessary to enable them to function in an environment where German is used exclusively. Students will demonstrate speaking, listening, reading, and writing in German.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the cultures and civilizations of the principal groups of people who speak German, from a variety of perspectives, including the historical, geographical, sociopolitical, literary and artistic.
- Students will demonstrate an awareness of the relevance of foreign languages to professions and careers.
What can you do with a German major? The opportunities are limitless.
In Europe, more people speak German as their native language than any other, according to vistawide.com. In addition to Germany, German is an official language of Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, and it is the native language of a significant portion of the populations in other European counties. Learning the language can connect you to 120 million native speakers around the globe. Many people also learn German as a second language, as it is the third most popular foreign language taught worldwide and the second most popular in Europe and Japan, after English.
The German major requirements at Mount Union will not only prepare you with the speaking, listening and writing skills of the language, but they also focus on several different aspects of German culture and literature. Additionally, you’ll gain an understanding of the careers and professions available to German majors and spend a period of time living and learning in a German-speaking country to experience the culture first hand. You’ll truly be prepared for a successful German career in a number of fields.
Common careers include:
- Education and teaching
- Public relations
About this institute
University of Mount Union
The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institution founded in 1846, offers rigorous and relevant academic programs that are grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Mount Union’s students can select from broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors. Known for its...
Why study at University of Mount Union
Mount Union is a small institution. We are proud to offer small class sizes, all taught by professors. More than 80% of our faculty have terminal degrees in their fields of study. This gives our students a chance to research and learn alongside our talented faculty in their academic fields. We are proud that 98% of our students find jobs in less than 3 months after graduating with their Mount Union degree!
Want to know more about Bachelor in German? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...