About this program
MPH Master of Public Health
Gain the knowledge and skills required to address public health concerns on a national and international level with this fully online, part-time Master of Public Health (MPH) programme from the University of Liverpool - accredited by the Agency for Public Health Education Accreditation (APHEA).
Our programmes will provide you with a solid foundation in public health, including health promotion in a global setting, health inequalities, management and leadership, and the research methodologies underpinning public health. You can also elect to study specialist modules that will help you to develop specific expertise in public health, such as managing crises and disasters, programme and policy challenges in low-income countries, and health economics. The optional modules you choose could enable you to pursue our specialist pathways in Management of Health Systems and International Public Health.
Is this the right course for you?
The MPH is internationally respected for its multidisciplinary focus and commitment to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) “Health for All” principles. It is an essential programme if you are working in any area of public health: governmental organisations, health services management, policy and planning, housing, transport, or for community groups and NGOs.
Public health aims to tackle the wider determinants of health. As a multidisciplinary subject, our students come from a wide variety of backgrounds, including medicine, nursing, pharmacy, occupational therapy, health services, health service management, environmental health and graduates with a background in the natural sciences, social sciences or humanities subjects.
Through this programme, you will:
- Explore a global and multidisciplinary approach to public health. Our international faculty and students bring a breadth of perspectives to our virtual ‘classroom’, providing you with an insight into public health best practices across the world.
- Apply your knowledge to real-world scenarios and reflect on your practice through varied assessment activities. This will help you to develop key public health skills and enhance your learning, which you can immediately apply to your current role.
- Tailor the MPH programme to fit your future plans. We offer a choice of optional specialist modules which allow you to tailor the programme to your specific needs or interests. In addition to our general MPH pathway, you can choose to pursue our specialist pathways in Management of Health Systems or International Public Health.
- Study a degree that is accredited by the Agency for Public Health Education Accreditation (APHEA). We offer one of the only online MPH programmes in the UK that are fully accredited with APHEA.
Learn from industry experts
This programme is delivered by the Department of Public Health, Policy and Systems, which is one of the largest of its kind in the UK and has a world-leading status for excellence in research and education. Our activities are underpinned by the social model of health and its application to health inequalities, and to health and social care systems. We inspire people to learn and achieve – and do things that they never thought possible.
Applicants should possess either*:
- A master’s or bachelor’s degree in medicine, equivalent to a UK degree, coupled with at least one years’ experience in a public health related field; or
- A minimum of a 2:1 class degree in a public health related discipline, equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, coupled with two years’ professional experience in a public health related field; or
- A minimum of a 2:1 class degree in a non-public health related discipline, equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, coupled with two years’ professional experience in a public health related field.
Applicants should also have:
- A minimum GCSE grade C or equivalent in English language and mathematics.
All applicants from outside the UK must provide evidence that they have an English language ability equivalent to an IELTS (academic) score of 6.5 (overall) and 7.0 (reading and writing).
*Applicants who do not meet our entry criteria will be assessed on a case-by-case basis by the Director of Studies.
Students working in any area of public health: governmental organisations, health services management, policy and planning, housing, transport, or for community groups and NGOs.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The MPH consists of the following taught modules and a final dissertation project.
The optional modules you choose to study could enable you to pursue our specialist pathways in Management of Health Systems and International Public Health.
Shorter postgraduate diploma (120 credits) and postgraduate certificate (60 credits) awards are also available in this subject.
- Practising and Promoting Public Health in a Global Context
- Generating and Evaluating Public Health Evidence
- Integrated Research in Public Health: Epidemiology and
- Qualitative Methods
- Leading and Managing Health Systems
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Systems and Programs
- Health Inequalities: Integrating Public Health Practice
- 1 core module from:
- Applied Epidemiological Research for Public Health; or
- Applied Qualitative Research for Public Health
- 2 optional modules from:
- Health Protection: Preventing and Managing Communicable Diseases
- Managing Crises and Disasters
- Program and Policy Challenges in Low Income Countries
- Health, Economics and Governance
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Learn online anytime, anywhere.
Get the University of Liverpool experience wherever you are in the world. This 100% online course features interactive classes and regular contact with staff and fellow students across the globe. Teaching is delivered through our state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which provides students with access to all resources required for interactive study online. On this platform, you will be encouraged to work collaboratively with classmates and actively read around your topic through our comprehensive library of eBooks and journals.
Assessments are exclusively through online assignments rather than examinations. You will be assessed through a range of activities, including written assignments, discussion forum participation and journal entries.
Full tuition fee – £15,300* (2022/2023 academic year)
- The tuition fee is fully inclusive of all costs: teaching materials, core textbooks, assessments and resits.
- If you live in England, you may be eligible for a postgraduate loan to cover some of the costs of your degree. If you are not eligible for a student loan, you will be offered a simple monthly payment plan to spread the cost of your tuition over the duration of your studies.
- You will receive a 5% discount if you choose to pay the full tuition fee upfront.
- Scholarships of up to 15% of your tuition fee may be available. For more details speak to the Kaplan Liverpool online admission team.
- Corporate discounts of 10% are available for organisations looking to invest in the skills of three or more employees. For more information, please visit our website where you can speak to one of our admissions advisors to learn how you can upskill your team for organisational success.
*All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
Enhance your career opportunities
If you’re working in any area of public health and looking to progress your career, a master’s degree is essential. Upon completion of your programme, you will have the knowledge and skills to put public health principles into effect in a variety of settings including research, practice and policy. Your expertise could open up senior roles in public health research and practice within a range of sectors, such as health organisations, governmental organisations, charities and NGOs.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Liverpool Online Programmes
University of Liverpool Online Programs provide a flexible study option to further your learning and progress your career while continuing with your current professional and personal commitments. You will receive a highly regarded qualification from the University of Liverpool, a...
Want to know more about MPH Master of Public Health? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...