Ph.D. LawUniversity of Latvia
All available course dates
About this program
The aim of the Doctoral Study Program “Law” is:
- Preparing qualified researchers for academic and scientific work at universities, state and private enterprises, as well as for high level complexity tasks in practical jurisprudence;
- Carrying out state-level scientific, economic, cultural and social higher-level doctoral studies in legal science, providing:
- opportunity to deepen theoretical knowledge and research competences in legal science as a whole and in the chosen sub-sector,
- develop a qualitative Doctoral thesis.
The main part of the study Program consists of preparing a Doctoral thesis, publishing and approbation of research results that are in progress, which corresponds to the goal of doctoral studies - the implementation of in-depth research in order to prepare a large original study (thesis) that would be the basis for obtaining a Doctor's degree. In addition to this part, doctoral students are provided with the opportunity to improve general skills, as well as get acquainted with the latest achievements of the industry, not only in the subject of their research, but also in a broader context.
Postgraduate diploma (or higher)
Master’s degree in law or equivalent education of law science.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Latvian.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Applicants must upload education documents in their original language, as well as translations into English.
Applicants must prove their English language knowledge. University accepts the following international language tests:
- LanguageCert International ESOL at least Level Communicator B2 (Written and Spoken exams);
- TOEFL IBT – at least score 72
- TOEFL Essential – at least 8 points
- IELTS – at least score 5.5
- PTE General – at least level B2
- FCE – at least level B
- CPE – Proficiency/C2 Proficiency: any level
- CAE – C1 Advanced any level
If your previous studies have been obtained in English but in the country where English is not native language, then you have to present an official letter from your previous educational institution (secondary school, etc.)
Applicants who have obtained previous education in English in one of the bellow listed countries do not need to provide separate language proficiency:
- The Bahamas
- New Zealand
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Tuition fee per year - 3000 EUR for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, permanent residence permit holders and their family members
- Tuition fee per year - 3750 EUR for citizens of other countries
Credits:144 or 216
Degree to be achieved:Doctor of science (PhD) in Law
Message the school
About this institute
University of Latvia
The University of Latvia (UL) offers European-level higher education and skills necessary for the labor market, scientific research, and self-development. The quality of studies, research, international collaboration, and innovations ranked the UL among 4% of the world’s best universities. The...
Why study at University of Latvia
10 reasons to study at the UL:
- Financial support to best students
- Wide range of international exchange programmes to world’s top universities
- Comprehensive and high-quality study programmes in fields of Humanities, Social and Natural sciences
- Worldwide recognized Diploma
- Modern study environment
- Internship opportunities in Latvia and abroad
- Inspiring academic and supportive administrative staff
- Opportunity to create and start your own business during studies at the Student Business Incubator
- Excellent leisure facilities and interesting student life
- Affordable and guaranteed place in student dormitories
University of Latvia
Want to know more about Ph.D. Law? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!