About this program
Germanic Studies (Sub-program of Academic Program Linguistics, Literature and Regional Culture Studies)
The sub-Program prepares academically qualified specialists in Germanic studies and provides education that allows to focus on scientific research in the field of cultural heritage and current issues in Germanic studies in the Baltic region. The sub-Program highlights various aspects of Germanic studies in the general context of the humanities, but from an intercultural perspective - the Baltics - Germany - Scandinavia - special attention is paid to the study of historical and current links important to the Baltics.
Within the Program, students will study common study courses and specialization courses of the chosen sub-Program such as Regional and transnational aspects of the German cultural environment, Paradigms of cultural science in Germanic studies, Media, communication and cultural media processes in German studies, Development trends of modern literary theory, Word in diachronic and history of lexicography, Language and regionality, Contacts and contrasts of Nordic languages and cultures, Intercultural communication in economics and translational aspects of applied texts, Translation of literary texts, etc.
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
Applicants for Master degree studies are required to have completed Bachelor degree or higher professional education comprising at least 3 years of full time studies providing access to Master's level study Programs.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Latvian.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Applicants must upload education documents in original language, as well as translations into English. Diplomas and transcripts issued outside EU must be legalized with a legalization stamp or Apostille.
Applicants must prove their English language knowledge. University accepts the following international language tests:
- LanguageCert International ESOL at least Level Communicator B2 (Written and Spoken exams);
- TOEFL IBT – at least score 72
- TOEFL Essential – at least 8 points
- IELTS – at least score 5.5
- PTE General – at least level B2
- FCE – at least level B
- CPE – Proficiency/C2 Proficiency: any level
- CAE – C1 Advanced any level
Applicants who have obtained previous education in English in one of the bellow listed countries do not need to provide separate language proficiency:
- The Bahamas
- New Zealand
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Cultural heritage and new identities
- Project Development in the Field of Humanities
- Research and Communication
- Regional language and culture contacts
- Comparative Literature
- Language theories and diversity of languages
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The full-time degree Program covers two academic years. Classes are in the evenings of working days from 6.15pm till 9.30pm.
- Tuition fee per year - 2200 EUR for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, permanent residence permit holders and their family members
- Tuition fee per year - 3150 EUR for citizens of other countries
Credits:80 or 120
Degree to be achieved:Master in Humanities in Language Studies
Graduates of the study program can work in various state, non-governmental and private institutions - diplomatic missions of Latvia and other countries, various Latvian and European institutions, including translation, universities and schools, research institutions, mass media and advertising agencies, editorial offices, libraries, language training centres, travel agencies, Latvian and world companies of various profiles, etc.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Latvia
The University of Latvia (UL) offers European-level higher education and skills necessary for the labor market, scientific research, and self-development. The quality of studies, research, international collaboration, and innovations ranked the UL among 4% of the world’s best universities. The...
Why study at University of Latvia
10 reasons to study at the UL:
- Financial support to best students
- Wide range of international exchange programmes to world’s top universities
- Comprehensive and high-quality study programmes in fields of Humanities, Social and Natural sciences
- Worldwide recognized Diploma
- Modern study environment
- Internship opportunities in Latvia and abroad
- Inspiring academic and supportive administrative staff
- Opportunity to create and start your own business during studies at the Student Business Incubator
- Excellent leisure facilities and interesting student life
- Affordable and guaranteed place in student dormitories
Want to know more about Germanic Studies (Sub-program of Academic Program Linguistics, Literature and Regional Culture Studies)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!