About this program
Bachelor in East-West Intercultural Studies
With six semesters of full-time studies offered mainly in English, graduates are awarded a bachelor's degree.
Arabic, Chinese, Korean and Japanese as well as French, German and other languages are taught in this Program not only as a means of communication but also as bearers of certain labels and patterns of behaviour rooted in specific cultures, which is extremely important when establishing international contacts.
The new Program offers an international qualification that is equally important for European (Western) and Asian students. It is oriented towards a mutual understanding, based on analogies, of Eastern and Western civilisations. The Program does not simply provide information about other cultures; it also helps students choose the right way to communicate with representatives of other cultures by explaining religiously, socially and mentally important nuances in the context of each culture that non-specialists may miss.
High school / secondary education (or higher)
Applicants applying for undergraduate degree studies are required to have completed their secondary /high school education.
Grades in Biology or Naturescience, Mathematics or Physics or Chemistry must be no less than 6 (or “almost good”) in a 10 point grading system.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Latvian.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Applicants must upload education documents in their original language, as well as translations into English.
Applicants must prove their English language knowledge. University accepts the following international language tests:
- LanguageCert International ESOL at least Level Communicator B2 (Written and Spoken exams);
- TOEFL IBT – at least score 72
- TOEFL Essential – at least 8 points
- IELTS – at least score 5.5
- PTE General – at least level B2
- FCE – at least level B
- CPE – Proficiency/C2 Proficiency: any level
- CAE – C1 Advanced any level
Applicants who have obtained previous education in English in one of the bellow listed countries do not need to provide separate language proficiency:
- The Bahamas
- New Zealand
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Mandatory Study Courses
- Civil protection
- European Union I: Integration and Institutions
- European union II: Policies and Decision-making
- Global and Comparative Ethnography
- Introduction to Cultural History of Europe
- Introduction to Academic Studies and Research
- Introduction to Applied Linguistics and Digital Humanities
- Introduction to linguistics in a multilingual context
- Multilingualism and Multiculturalism
- Religious Paradigm of Regional Cultures: Sacred Texts and Hermeneutics
- Intercultural Relations Between Europe and Asia
- Intercultural communication
- Intercultural Studies in Literature
- Theory and Seminars in Translation
- Environment protection
- Values and Ideas of Asian and European Culture and Literature in the Comparative Perspective
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The full-time degree Program covers 3 academic years. Classes are mainly from 8.30am till 6pm in the working days.
- Tuition fee per year - 2200 EUR for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, permanent residence permit holders and their family members
- Tuition fee per year - 2880 EUR for citizens of other countries
Credits: 120 / 180 ECTS
Degree to be achieved: Bachelor Degree in Humanities in Language Studies and Programs
Tasks for achieving the goals of the program:
- to promote in-depth interdisciplinary knowledge of the cultural-historical, socio-economic, political-legal and philosophical basic principles of Western and Eastern civilizations;
- to promote the acquisition of the language of the region in the context of culture;
- to stimulate students' critical and analytical thinking by acquiring knowledge that would promote resistance to propaganda, as well as dispel religiously or nationally motivated stereotypes, increasing security and peace in the world;
- to promote the involvement of students and the practical application of the acquired knowledge, competencies and skills in scientific research, how to ensure practice in Latvian and foreign state and local government institutions, companies and non-governmental organizations, thus preparing modern specialists for productive and awareness-raising work in international political relations, diplomacy, international business relations and culture.
Graduates of the bachelor's Program will be able to work in the diplomatic service, embassies, NGOs, political, cultural and social research, public relations and policymaking and evaluation, city and regional administration, the tourism industry and culture as well as in research centres, think tanks, and business structures engaged in East-West communication.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Latvia
The University of Latvia (UL) offers European-level higher education and skills necessary for the labor market, scientific research, and self-development. The quality of studies, research, international collaboration, and innovations ranked the UL among 4% of the world’s best universities. The...
Why study at University of Latvia
10 reasons to study at the UL:
- Financial support to best students
- Wide range of international exchange programmes to world’s top universities
- Comprehensive and high-quality study programmes in fields of Humanities, Social and Natural sciences
- Worldwide recognized Diploma
- Modern study environment
- Internship opportunities in Latvia and abroad
- Inspiring academic and supportive administrative staff
- Opportunity to create and start your own business during studies at the Student Business Incubator
- Excellent leisure facilities and interesting student life
- Affordable and guaranteed place in student dormitories
Want to know more about Bachelor in East-West Intercultural Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!