Artificial Intelligence with a Year in Industry - BSc (Hons)
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is increasingly successful in solving complex and key problems from self-driving cars and medicine to information retrieval and games. Recent advances exploit machine learning techniques where AI systems extract patterns from vast amounts of examples (big data) using large-scale computing infrastructure, such as the cloud. On the BSc Artificial Intelligence with a Year in Industry you will specialise in this rapidly evolving area of computer science and put your skills into practice in the workplace.
On this degree you learn a combination of solid knowledge of computing technologies and programming skills with an in-depth understanding of the principles and practice of building AI systems. The programme is taught by experts in the area of AI and applied machine learning.
In the first year of the programme your learning is centred on computer sciencefundamentals and you share modules with students on our successful BSc ComputerScience programme. In the second year you study core AI concepts and techniques. In your final year, you select a range of modules allowing you to focus on specific AI techniques and applications of your choice such as neural network, data mining, eHealth and semantic web.
Our programmes are taught by leading researchers who are experts in their fields. The School of Computing at Kent is home to several authors of leading computingtextbooks. Kent was awarded gold, the highest rating, in the UK Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework.
New GCSE grades
If you’ve taken exams under the new GCSE grading system, please see our conversion table to convert your GCSE grades.
- A level ABB-BBC
- Access to HE Diploma
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (formerly BTEC National Diploma)
- International Baccalaureate
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The course structure below gives a flavour of the modules and provides details of the content of this programme. This listing is based on the current curriculum and may change year to year in response to new curriculum developments and innovation.
- Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
- Foundations of Computing I
- Human Computer Interaction
- Databases and the Web
- Further Object-Oriented Programming
- Programming for Artificial Intelligence
- Computers and the Cloud
- Foundations of Computing II
- Web Development
- Database Systems
- AI Systems Implementation
- Introduction to Intelligent Systems
- Problem Solving with Algorithms
- Computer Systems
- Software Development
- Theory of Computing
- Cognitive Neural Networks
Students must select one of the following:
- Research Project
Plus a choice from a list of optional modules.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Please visit the university website for more information about tuition fees.
The programme aims to:
- Provide a programme that will attract and meet the needs of both those contemplating a career in computing and those motivated primarily by an intellectual interest in artificial intelligence
- Provide a sound knowledge and systematic understanding of the principles of computing
- Provide knowledge of key areas in artificial intelligence
- Provide generally applicable skills that will be of lasting value in a constantly changing field
- Offer a range of modules covering the foundations of computer science
- Offer a range of options to enable students to study selected areas of computer science and artificial intelligence in depth
- Provide teaching which is informed by current research and scholarship and which requires students to engage with aspects of work at the frontiers of knowledge
- Develop general critical, analytical and problem-solving skills that can be applied in a wide range of different applied computing settings.
- Provide relevant work experience
- Provide an opportunity to develop knowledge understanding and skills of relevance to Computer Science within an industrial or commercial organisation.
Graduates who have both IT knowledge and business skills can expect excellent career prospects.Our graduates have gone on to work in:
- software engineering
- mobile applications development
- systems analysis
- web design and e-commerce
- finance and insurance
About this institute
University of Kent
Kent is one of the UK’s leading universities. Awarded Gold, the highest rating, in the UK Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework, and with a global reputation for excellence we offer you outstanding teaching, world-leading research, stunning study locations and a superb...
Why study at University of Kent
Kent has been awarded Gold, the highest rating, in the UK Government's Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
Shortlisted in the Outstanding Support for Students category of the Times Higher Education Awards 2018.
Superb student experience
Our students consistently rate us as offering one of the best student experiences in the UK
We pride ourselves on our strong international focus, and enable our students to develop a global perspective
First class facilities
Kent students benefit from continual investment in facilities, academic programmes and services.
Want to know more about Artificial Intelligence with a Year in Industry - BSc (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Chicago, United States of America