Religion and culture form a challenging field of interdisciplinary study. This Research Master's offers you a thorough training in the sub disciplines of theology and religious studies.
The programme is a mix of a compulsory foundation and an individual route in which you can specialize further in terms of both content and methodology. In the core modules, you learn to define your own position as a junior researcher.
The University of Groningen offers you an unique approach to the study of religion. In the study of the three monotheistic religions, considerable attention is paid to alternative movements. The program explores how religion is embedded in culture. The global and diachronic perspective of research is also represented. It is important to conduct research not only from Western and modern perspectives, but also from other cultural and historical ones.
The individual route comprises three elements: electives , research traineeships, and writing a thesis and a research proposal. The electives are designed to equip you with in-depth knowledge of specialized subjects, together with subject-specific skills and methodological knowledge. The final specialization occurs in the Research Master's thesis, which forms the basis of a PhD thesis proposal or an application for research funding.
Why in Groningen
- The strongest theological and religious studies degree programme in the Netherlands
- Best Research Master's programme in the Humanities in The Netherlands
- Top 100 university
- Taught by leading experts with a world-class reputation
- A highly stimulating learning environment
- Students can follow their own research interests
- Focus on the dynamic relationships between religion, culture and society
- PhD position
- Independent scholar
- Secondary education teacher
- Civil servant or policy advisor at national or local government
- Position in publishing
Students wishing to study the MA in Religion and Culture must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor´s degree or a (one-year) Master´s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject
- TOEFL 625 / 263 / 113 or 7.5 IELTS (not for native speakers and Dutch students with a VWO certificate)
- Students must apply and will be admitted only after selection
The University of Groningen is one of the oldest universities in the Netherlands, founded in 1614 the university ranks amongst the top 100 universities in the world. We are a research intensive institution offering a wide range of highly regarded bachelor,...
Want to know more about Theology & Religious Studies M.A. (research)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.