Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Social Work (Advanced)
UFV's two-year Advanced Master of Social Work (MSW) equips you with the advanced practice knowledge and skills you need to move into a leadership role. The Advanced MSW program involves five-semesters, 30 credits and includes a required 450-hour practicum. The Advanced MSW program is offered every two years in even years.
Graduates who do not have a Bachelor of Social Work can apply to our Foundational Master of Social Work program.
UFV's Master of Social Work program builds on the success of UFV's Bachelor of Social Work program, and draws on the expertise of the School’s experienced and diverse faculty members. Strong relationships and consultation with community agencies in the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland enhance the delivery of the MSW, particularly in terms of practicum placements and supervision.
The program is CASWE–ACFTS nationally accredited.
- Bachelor of Social Work degree from a program accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education — Association Canadienne pour la Formation en Travail Social with a minimum GPA of 3.00. GPA will be calculated on the most recently completed 30 credits (or equivalent) of upper-level university courses
- Two years of volunteer work or paid employment (3,000 hours) in social services, social work, or a closely related field
- Applicants must demonstrate an understanding of the purpose and nature of social work and alignment with professional social work codes of ethics
- Interview with the MSW committee may be required
- Personal statement
- Three professional letters of reference
- Applicants must meet the Degree/diploma level English language proficiency requirement.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Core courses include:
- Advanced Clinical Social Work Practice
- Research and Program Evaluation
- Advanced Social Policy
- Leadership and Supervision in Social Work
- Critical Perspectives on Social Justice and Anti-Oppressive Social Work
- Practicum and Advanced Direct Practice Seminar
- Major Paper/Project
- Advanced Intervention in Health
- Advanced Social Work Practice with Children and Families
- Advanced Social Work Practice in Mental Health
For information about tuition fees, please visit the program webpage.
Master of Social Work (MSW) degree
The British Columbia 2025 Labor Market Outlook identifies social work as a high opportunity occupation with excellent projected employment rate.
When registered, social workers who have completed a Master's Degree find increased opportunities to move into leadership roles in the field. They may work as administrators, teachers, case managers, or program developers in human services. They may also conduct research or work in the area of policy development for social or government agencies.
In fact, many graduates of the Master of Social Work program have done exactly that, and now work in leadership positions, private practice, or teaching positions in the local and surrounding communities.
About this institute
University of the Fraser Valley
The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) is an accredited public Canadian university which serves 15,000 students, 1,900 of which are international students. UFV offers 16 bachelor's degrees, two master's degrees, and over 100 certificates and diploma programs in areas...
Why study at University of the Fraser Valley
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Social Work (Advanced)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Has COVID-19 affected your study abroad plans?
We want to hear your stories. Help us get a better idea of how the coronavirus is impacting international students by taking our two minute survey.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...