BSc Business ManagementUniversity of Essex
About this program
BSc Business Management
Businesses need effective managers now more than ever in a post Covid-19 world. But what makes an effective manager? And how can studying management theory create better managers for people and the planet?
On this course, you learn what’s involved in managing organisations in an increasingly complex world. We look at the enduring patterns in how people, groups, organisations, economies and societies function and interact. By understanding these behaviours, you can manage them effectively in times of significant change.
With BSc Business Management, you gain a rich understanding of how organisations operate – what they do, how they develop strategies and why.
Study areas include:
- management, innovation and new technologies
- the international business environment
- organisational behaviour
- operations and supply chain management
- human resource management
- ethical business management
The first year of your business management degree also introduces you to the core principles of accounting, finance and marketing to provide you with the essential business knowledge needed for a successful career.
Clearing entry requirements
Specific entry requirements for this course in Clearing are not published here but for most of our degree courses you will need to hold a Level 3 qualification. If you are interested in applying and have already received your results, use our Clearing application form to apply for 2022 entry and find out if you are eligible. You will be asked to provide details of your qualifications and grades.
English language requirements
English language requirements for applicants whose first language is not English: IELTS 6.0 overall. Different requirements apply for second year entry, and specified component grades are also required for applicants who require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK.
Other English language qualifications may be acceptable so please contact us for further details. If we accept the English component of an international qualification then it will be included in the information given about the academic levels listed above. Please note that date restrictions may apply to some English language qualifications
If you are an international student requiring a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK please see our immigration webpages for the latest Home Office guidance on English language qualifications.
If you do not meet our IELTS requirements then you may be able to complete a pre-sessional English pathway that enables you to start your course without retaking IELTS.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Accounting I
- Introduction to Accounting II
- Quantitative Methods and Finance
- Understanding Value and Values
- Understanding Organisational Management
- Professional and Academic Development (Management and Marketing)
- Management Accounting I
- Organisational Behaviour
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Marketing Management
- International Business Environment
- Business Strategy
- Research Methods in Management and Marketing
- Leadership in Organisations
- Successful Futures
- Student Success Tutorial
- Strategic Human Resource
- Management Business Ethics
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available, please visit the university website for more information.
BSc Business Management: 3 years
BSc Business Management (Including Year Abroad): 4 years
BSc Business Management (Including Placement Year): 4 years
- Teaching includes a combination of lectures, seminars and computer-based lab sessions
- Modules delivered by experts in the field as well as guest speakers
- Contribute and interact in lectures through the use of smart technology
- Lecture presentations and notes are uploaded online beforehand to help you prepare in advance
- Complete your final-year project in consultation with a personal supervisor
- Home/UK fee: £9,250
- International fee: £18,600
Business management skills are as highly valued as your degree by many graduate employers, therefore, we embed a series of core and specific skills into our undergraduate curriculum for BSc Business Management to ensure that our graduates are suited to careers in business management and leadership roles.
All of our taught modules embed elements of our skills map which emulate the skills which are required by employers of business graduates, these generally include:
- Academic and cognitive skills
- Research skills
- Technology skills
- Communication skills
- Data analysis skills
- Soft skills
We embed a structured approach to student development and skills support throughout the curriculum and through
additional support from the Essex Business School Learning Team.
Our students have gone on to become business analysts, successful entrepreneurs, account managers and management trainees, with recent graduate destinations including:
- CEO and Founders of WYSPR – a ‘Friendvertising’ social media start-up
- Business Development Manager at Footprint Digital – a fast-growing digital marketing agency
- Sales and Marketing Manager at Chrysodalia – a Cyprus based food manufacturing company
- Digital Marketing Executive at Premier Labellers - a machinery manufacturer based in Essex
- Delivery Consultant at RED - The Global SAP Solutions Provider - a specialist recruitment firm
- iX Business Consultant at IBM – the multifunctional information technology conglomerate
About this institute
University of Essex
We are Essex: home to the ambitious and the inquisitive. We are proud to be top 39 in the Complete University Guide (2022), a past University of the Year (THE) and internationally recognised for Social Sciences. We're committed to two...
I studied this cousre at the Southend-On-Sea Campus and graduated in 2009, The course was excellent and has prepared me well for furthering my career. The facilities at the university are of a good standard and really helped me with my degree.