BA (Hons) Textile DesignUniversity of the Arts London
BA (Hons) Textile Design
All available course dates
About this program
BA (Hons) Textile Design
You will gain colour, design and materials knowledge within textile print, knit, stitch and weave. Through fashion, sustainability, interior and exterior design projects you will develop ideas and conceptual thinking.
English Language Requirements
All classes are taught in English. If English isn't your first language you must provide evidence at enrolment of the following:
- IELTS level 6.0 or above, with at least 5.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking
The standard minimum entry requirements for this course are one or a combination of the following qualifications:
- Pass at Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Level 3 or 4)
- 2 A Levels at grade C or above
- Merit, Pass, Pass (MPP) at BTEC Extended Diploma
- Pass at UAL Extended Diploma
- Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Or equivalent EU/International qualifications, such as International Baccalaureate Diploma at 24 points minimum
- And 3 GCSE passes at grade 4 or above (grade A*-C)
Entry to this course will also be determined by the quality of your application, looking primarily at your portfolio of work, personal statement and reference.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Unit 1 - Introduction to Textile Design
- Unit 2 - Concept and process
- Unit 3 - Textile contexts 1
- Unit 4 - Textile contexts 2
- Unit 5 - Materials design practice
- Unit 6 - Collaborative and collective practices
- Unit 7 - Professional communication
- Unit 8 - Responsible design practice
- Unit 9 - Design synthesis
- Unit 10 - Professional contexts
- Optional Diploma between year 2 and 3
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
BA Textile Design is offered in full-time mode. It is divided into 3 stages over 3 academic years. Each stage consists of 30 teaching weeks. You will be expected to commit an average of 40 hours per week to your course, including teaching hours and independent study.
- Tuition fees for Home students are £9,250*
- Tuition fees for International students are £23,610*
*This fee is correct for 2022/23 entry and is subject to change for 2023/24 entry. Tuition fees may increase in future years for new and continuing students.
- Collaborative activities
- Digital workshops
- Group and individual tutorials
- Group presentations
- Library and technical workshop orientations
- Research method exercises
- Studio group teaching
Live projects will enable you to gain vital commercial experience, build networks and expand your professional development. In the past we have worked with Burberry, Chinese Design Centre, Gainsborough Silks, H&M, Indesign, Iberoamericano University (Mexico), Latitude Festival, Made.com, Marks & Spencer, Wallace Collection and trend forecasting company WGSN.
You will have the opportunity to apply to attend international trade fairs. Students have exhibited at Première Vision Designs, part of Première Vision, Paris.
You will be able to take part in an exchange to another institution. Students have been to Berlin, Borås, Kyoto, Paris, Stockholm and Tokyo. The course also has relationships with some American colleges. These include the Fashion Institute of Technology, Parsons the New School for Design and Rhode Island School of Design.
BA Textile Design graduates have gone on to work in international fashion or interior design studios, trend-forecasting companies and magazines.
Others have set up their own businesses or gone on to postgraduate study on Chelsea's MA Textile Design, Central St Martins MA Fashion, as well as courses at other renowned institutions such as the Royal College of Art.
Some of the course’s most successful graduates have joined design teams and are working within couture and high street production for fashion companies including Anthropologie, Burberry, Céline, Chloe, H&M, Liberty, Stella McCartney, Nike, Zac Posen, Jonathan Saunders and Alexander Wang.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2022 QS World University Rankings®, for the fourth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
Want to know more about BA (Hons) Textile Design? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...