Spanish Language and Culture: Basic, Independent and Proficient User
The new perspectives in foreign languages teaching methodology pay special attention to the presence of cultural issues in the programs, according to the assumption that learning a language without reference to its community is a difficult task and not very enriching. The communicative approach requires the inclusion of cultural aspects to develop extra-linguistic competence.
Our courses offer the students a program in which the cultural contents are used as a starting point to the presentation of the linguistic system. In this sense, each lesson, from the beginning, will introduce essential socio-cultural contents in order to satisfy immediate needs in the society in which students are immersed. These contents also act as conversation topics in socio-cultural discussion forums that go from the language to the culture and from the culture to the language.
The main objective of our courses is to make the student participate as an active element, where there is a total connection between the conversation and the culture. That is why the interest in our culture leads them to use the language as a work tool. With the purpose of making the most of the immersion context, all the modules will be taught in Spanish.
Course prerequisites: to be 18 years old or more
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Module A - Spanish Language
This module will consist of the practice of the linguistic functions, as well as the basic contents of the grammar and the lexicon that are necessary to be able to communicate in Spanish in different real-life situations.
The objectives, contents, and specific criteria for each group will be developed according to the levels of CEFR.
The communicative skills practice will be focused on providing the students with the necessary tools in order to improve their comprehension and expression skills: listening comprehension, reading comprehension, oral expression, and writing expression.
The specific objectives are:
- Improve the writing skill.
- Know the characteristics and standards of diverse types of texts.
- Use the linking words adequately.
- Organize oral and written speeches correctly.
- Improve fluency.
- Structure an oral presentation appropriately.
- Draw the main and the secondary ideas from oral and written texts.
- Find specific information in oral and written texts.
- Adapt the oral and written messages to the adequate register depending on the context.
- Have a good command of the pragmatic resources corresponding to its level.
- Integrate the four communicative skills
Module B - Local Culture And Cinema
In the learning of a language, the knowledge of the culture of the target language community turns out to be of great interest from a communicative perspective, since there is a direct relationship between the cultural elements and the communicative performance of the language. Thus, it is fundamental to provide the students with a wide and integrated basis of cultural knowledge.
The following topics on local cultural aspects will be addressed:
- Conventions in social relations (greetings and farewells, leisure and free time activities, etc.)
- What can you do in Almería? Get to know the province.
- Spanish gastronomy (with special attention to Almería)
- Typical dishes
- Bar culture
- Parties and celebrations.
- Almería, land of cinema.
- Spain, a multilingual and multicultural country.
The objectives of this module will be:
- Learn vocabulary.
- Understand how the native speakers speak and interact with others.
- Take an interest in the current topics.
- Develop the capacity of critical thinking that contrasts their reality with one of the films they watch. In order to follow this module, the students must do a placement test and get a B1 level or higher in Spanish.
Cost of the Tuition (Standard Payment):
- 1.800€ (shared double room)
- 2.000€ (single room)
ECTS Credits: 10.6
The main objective of the course is to increase and develop the oral skills so that the pupils make progress in the corresponding speaking competencies established by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). According to this, the communicative teaching Internationalisation Programs Study Abroad 2021 Vice-Rectorate for Internationalization method will be focused on the use of the main communicative functions to get by in usual communicative situations that take place in the Spanish society. The specific objectives are the following:
- Progress in the acquisition of communicative competence.
- Awaken the interest in the knowledge of the people and the villages.
- Acquire the four skills in an integrated way.
- Know the multiculturalism of the language.
- Correct the most common mistakes of the Spanish learners when it comes to pronouncing the sounds of the Spanish language.
- Utilize the oral and written language oral adequately at the corresponding level
- according to CEFR.
- Participate dynamically in speeches such as dialogues, interviews, expression of opinions, comments, and others that allow them to develop their oral production.
- Train the writing skill by means of a series of exercises that can be individual, in groups, inside or outside the classroom.
- Provide the student with the typical characteristics that define our identity through not only daily life aspects but also historical events, great Spanish leading figures, and some works of art.
- Have a good command of the structures for both comprehension and expression.
Welcome to UAL
About this institute
University of Almeria
Founded in 1993, the University of Almería (UAL) is a public higher education and research university ranked in the Top 40 nationally, and top 1000 worldwide. We offer 34 Bachelor and 44 Master Degrees, as well as 14 PhD programmes...
Want to know more about Spanish Language and Culture: Basic, Independent and Proficient User? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Study abroad program
Foundation / Pathway program