International Tourism ManagementUniversity College Birmingham
Awarded by: University of Birmingham
Tourism is one of the largest and fastest-growing industries in the world. Mass flows of tourists and rapid expansion means the industry is facing many challenges, notably in how global tourism activity can sustain such growth in the long term whilst providing benefits to local communities and minimising environmental damage.
This course focuses on the wider management issues impacting on tourism and the challenges caused by the growth in tourism will be addressed throughout your studies.
There is an increase in demand for skilled professionals to work in both destination management organisations and tourism businesses which promote responsible and sustainable tourism practices, and this course offers graduates a route into these careers as well as within the wider tourism industry.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will examine the intercultural and social dimensions of international tourism such as changing global tourism patterns, key drivers of activity and the changing nature of tourists.
- You will learn higher management concepts and techniques and apply them to destinations and tourism organisations within the context of uncertainty and dynamism.
- You will have the opportunity to specialise further in a chosen area through the portfolio of option modules.
- You will get the chance to work on your own research project, which creates an opportunity to critically analyse a particular area or field of the international tourism industry that interests you.
- There is an optional placement year during this course, which will provide you with valuable work experience and the opportunity to build industry contacts.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language as an optional module.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Cross-cultural Tourism
- Developing People in Tourism
- Tourism and Media
- Tourism and Society
- Travel Geography
- Tourism Professional Practice
- Destination Planning and Development
- Leading People in Tourism
- Sustainable Tourism Management
- The Tourist Experience
- Tourism Investigations
Plus one option from:
- Events Planning
- Responsible Nature-based Tourism
- Social Media in Aviation and Tourism
- Tourism Operations Management
- Dark Tourism
- Airport Planning
- Tourism Marketing Management
- Adventure Tourism
- Voluntary Initiative
- Modern Languages (Upper Intermediate)
- Creative Communications
- Enterprise Start-up Studies
- Cruise Operations
Optional Work Placement
- Work Placement
Year 3 or year 4 if the placement was taken
- International Tourism Policy
- Managing Tourism Activity
- Tourism Crisis Management
Plus one option from:
- Financial Strategy
- Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
- Anthropology of Tourism
- Destination Management
- International Marketing
- Organisational Learning in Tourism
- Dark and Thanatourism Management
- Adventure Tourism Issues and Futures
- Festivals and Events Tourism
In the final year students will have the option of choosing one of the following research modules:
- Research Project
- Enterprise and Innovation Showcase
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BSc (Hons) International Tourism Management
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the international tourism industry. Graduates have also gone on to work in corporate travel, tourism marketing executives and tourism sustainability managers. Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Destination management organisations (DMOs)
- Sustainable tourism
- Responsible travel (in commercial organisations)
- Cultural tourism
- Sustainable, cultural and eco-tourism organisations
UCB hosts tourism and travel events as part of student enrichment and to promote industry awareness. The University is proud to be an Institute of Travel & Tourism (ITT) Centre of Excellence and staged theITT Future You On The Road conferencein February 2016.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about International Tourism Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.