This degree course is accredited by University College Birmingham.
Why should I choose this course?
- It covers a vast range of core competencies in the sector including science, the food chain, social and behavioural aspects, health and wellbeing and professional conduct.
- You will be able to apply your knowledge in practical and relevant ways to different areas such as nutrition, public health, food science, food politics and food manufacture.
- You will get the opportunity to tailor your degree to suit your own career goals. For example, you might want to focus on functional foods, specialised diets or product development.
- You will get the chance to work in our new Food Science and Innovation Suite, which features the latest food testing and diagnostic technology alongside state-of-the-art kitchen facilities.
- We have fantastic links with the food industry, which means a wealth of opportunities for students with regards to guest lectures, industry research and work placements.
Our Food and Nutrition course will provide a superb grounding for students to go into the food science industry as well as students seeking to continue into the postgraduate specialism of nutrition, sports nutrition and food technology.
- Hannah Boardman - Food and Nutrition Lecturer
Food Science & Innovation Suite
Our new multi-million pound, state-of-the-art Food Science & Innovation Suite comprises: two specialist kitchens, a bespoke sensory evaluation room, a pilot plant and science facilities. All laboratories in the innovation area have been designed with the help of the food industry and replicate the environment that a student will work in after graduation.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Academic Skills for Food and Nutrition
- Culinary Skills for Nutrition
- Food Manufacture
- Food Science
- Introduction to Nutrition
- Public Health and Nutrition
- Contemporary Eating Practices
- Functional Foods, Nutraceuticals and Legalities
- Nutrition in Context
- Food Product Design Development
- Research for Food and Nutrition
Plus one option from:
- Dietary Research in Culinary Development
- International Nutrition
- Sports Nutrition
- Current Issues in Food and Nutrition
- Food Supply and Sustainability
- Nutritional Science
Plus one option from:
- Principles for Teaching and Learning with Food
- Nutrition for Performance
- Nutrition at Key Life Stages
- Food Technology
- Research option
- Research Project
- Applied Food and Nutrition Project
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition
About this institute
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Food and Nutrition? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.