This degree course is accredited by the University of Birmingham.
UCB boasts incredible professional training kitchens used by the likes of Michel Roux Jr. to find his yearly scholar, plus a fine dining restaurant and bistro to perfect your real-life skills, a food science and innovation suite for cutting edge research and award-winning chef lecturers to teach, support and guide you. There’s nowhere quite like University College Birmingham to really hone your cooking skills, gain first-class experience and achieve a degree in Culinary Arts Management that will really open doors.
Our vast industry contacts - from celebrated chefs to top food producers - means there are no end of exciting opportunities for you to take advantage of during and after your studies. These include:
- Work experience opportunities at Michelin-starred restaurants including Purnell’s and Simpsons in Birmingham and Carters of Moseley
- Masterclasses with experts such as Michelin-starred pastry chef Anthony Audebaud
- Working on new food products with some of the biggest names in product development such as MARS
- Competing in a wide range of culinary competitions that will not only test your skills, but your ability to work under pressure
There’s nothing more thrilling than the pressure cooker of competing and our students enjoy success after success on some of the world’s most high-profile competitive stages. Our trophy cabinet is brimming and in the past year alone, our accolades include:
- Nestle Professional Toque d’Or finalist 2019 – UK catering industry’s most prestigious competition - finals in April / May 2019 (UCB is a four-time winner)
- Bocuse d’Or – most prestigious culinary competition in the world – placed in Top 10
- Culinary World Cup – English National Junior Team ranked in Top 12 (double silver)
- The Professional Kitchen Show Salon Culinaire – six golds for our Royal Academy Culinary Arts (RACA) apprentices
- WorldSkills UK – world championships of vocational skills - finalist
- Craft Guild of Chefs Graduate Awards – two students win place in ‘hall of fame’
- Competing in a wide range of culinary competitions that will not only test your culinary skills but also your ability to work under pressure
Making their mark – Our alumni
From Michelin-starred Brad Carter to Rosie Ginday MBE, our students and alumni from the College of Food are doing incredible things.
Inspiring trips and experiences
Our students enjoy a world of additional opportunities to broaden their horizons. Here is a small selection from 2018.
- The Chefs Forumevent hosted by UCB – students showed off Spanish cooking skills
- Collaboration with MARSto create healthy and affordable convenience food range
- Visit to Westlands - world leading producer in herbs and horticultural advancement
- Masterclass with Michelin-starred pastry chefAnthony Audebaud
- Visit by catering specialistsfrom Etterstad College in Norway
- Masterclass with top gin expertChris Hoy from Masons Yorkshire Gin
The University has a total of nine industry-standard training kitchens which regularly are used for prestigious chef competitions and demonstrations. Practical sessions are also held in the 'Create It' and 'Innovate It' kitchens in the Food Science and Innovation Suite.
“The kitchens were very well designed and would give students a first-hand experience of industry standards. In fact, some kitchens were better than 5-star hotel kitchens that I have worked in around the world.”
- Ajay Chopra, acclaimed Indian celebrity chef
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Commodities and Nutrition
- Culinary Skills Development
- Food Safety and Hygiene
- Food, Beverage and Hospitality Operations
- Kitchen and Restaurant Operations
- Managing for Profit
- Work Placement
- Creative Kitchen Management
- Culinary Research and Development
- Human Resources for Hospitality Managers
- Management of Food and Beverage Operations
- Marketing Communications for Hospitality
- Research Principles
Plus one option from:
- Events Planning
- Managing Pub Operations
- Contemporary Patisserie
- Culinary Product Development
- Hospitality Operations Management
- Research Project
- Strategic Hospitality Management
Plus one option from:
- Financial Strategy
- Small Restaurant Management
- Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
- Cross-cultural and Global Management in Hospitality
- Innovation and Creativity Management in Hospitality and Tourism
- Personal Effectiveness and Behavioural Skills
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Culinary Arts Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe!
Planning on studying a
Master's degree in Europe?
Find your perfect career!