Master's Degree in Chemistry and Life Sciences
Strongly increasing societal demand in the fields of Environment, Sustainable Development and Health, implies a synergy of advanced skills in Chemistry and Biology Sciences. In order to be able to effectively respond to this demand and to implement innovative solutions providing efficient answers to these requests, it is essential to perfectly understand the interaction of contaminants with living organisms and particularly their structures, properties, reactivities/activities in natural ecosystems.
The “Chemical and Microbiological Characterization for Environmental Issues” (CMCEI) second year course of the Master in Chemistry and Life Sciences aims to train specialists with knowledge of the most recent advances in analytical chemistry, physico-chemistry, molecular biology and environmental microbiology.
The master is hosted at the College of Sciences and Technologies for Energy and Environment (STEE) of the Université de Pau et des Pays de
l’Adour (UPPA) in France.
The STEE College has been founded within the framework of the
prestigious French Initiative of Excellence label I-SITE (Initiatives Sciences, Innovation, Territories and Economy), obtained by our E2S-UPPA project.
Applicants must hold at least 4 years university level in chemistry and/or biology fields. For students outside UPPA, integration in the second year is subjected to a selection on curricula with equivalent training level and with sufficient skills in biology, chemistry and environment (Molecular biology, bioinformatics, microbiology, environmental microbiology, ecotoxicology, biostatistics, field sampling and data processing, physico-chemistry, analytical chemistry, environment)
Applicants must be fluent in English, both in writing and speaking. An applicant whose native language is not English has to take a recognized international English test.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Entirely taught in English, the first semester is devoted to the knowledge of contaminants cycles and to the application of different techniques for the analysis of chemical elements and species of interest in various compartments of environment, the identification of microorganisms presenting a risk for environment or public health, but also quality assurance, critical evaluation of scientific publications and /or technical documentation.
The second semester consists of a 6 months research internship in the field of chemical and/or biological analysis applied to the environment in the Institute of Analytical Sciences and Physico-Chemistry for Environment and Materials (IPREM) Joint Research Unit teams.
The course gives a large place to learning by scenario projects, which enable the student to understand scientific approach of research as well as to put into practice various techniques and to deepen the reflection
Trace elements in the environment
- Trace elements biogeochemical cycles 2 ECTS
- Speciation concepts and analysis 2 ECTS
Advanced analytical chemistry
- Advanced separation techniques 2 ECTS
- Advanced spectrometric techniques Coupling 2 ECTS
- Electrochemical sensors 2 ECTS
- Biological macromolecules characterization 2 ECTS
- Organic contaminants analysis 2 ECTS
Statistical tools, chemometrics and quality
- Analytical methods performances evaluation 2 ECTS
- Quality Assurance for Analysis 2 ECTS
- Statistical tools project 4 ECTS
Microbiology and molecular biology for Environmental applications
- Microbial biotransformations and environmental applications: project 4 ECTS
- Microbial biotransformations and environmental applications : conferences 2 ECTS
- Molecular biology, Technological applications 6 ECTS
Research tools and applications
- Scientific papers and documentation critical evaluation 2 ECTS
- Environmental Project 2 ECTS Language
- French as a Foreign language 2 ECTS
- Internship in academic or industrial research project 30 ECTS
At the end of this program, the students in the “Chemical and Microbiological
Characterization for Environmental Issues” will be able to:
• Have an expertise in modern techniques in chemistry, molecular biology
• Synthesize technical and research documentations to produce a technical
• Plan and define a research or R&D project in analytical chemistry, molecular
biology, microbiology or environmental survey
• Manage and carry out a project
• Manage field experiments to estimate the efficiency of chemical or
biological methods for the protection of the ecosystems
• Interpret and validate results of chemical and biological analysis
• Produce summary report describing the experiments done, the applied
methods used and the results obtained
About this institute
Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour
The University of Pau and Pays de l’Adour (UPPA) is a multidisciplinary university which covers three major areas of study: Law, economics, business, management Science and technology Literature, languages, arts, social sciences and humanities and sport UPPA offers its students...
Want to know more about Master's Degree in Chemistry and Life Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Castellón de la Plana, Spain
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates