Master's Degree in Data ScienceUniversitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Master's Degree in Data Science
All available course dates
About this program
Master's Degree in Data Science
Barcelona School of Informatics (FIB)
The master's degree in Data Science aims to create a benchmark for excellence in the field of data science. This eminently interdisciplinary degree is based on two distinct pillars that are equally essential to data science: data management and data analytics. The degree thus provides a holistic view of the field that also covers cross-disciplinary topics such as ethics and entrepreneurship. The degree aims to produce highly qualified professionals who have a strong ability to innovate in data management and data analytics. Graduates with these skills are in high demand in both the academic sector and industry. The master's degree also seeks to generate synergies and to foster the exchange of information and experiences in order to nurture the education, research and innovation triangle, which is vitally important in data science.
- An official Spanish university qualification or an official university qualification issued by a university in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) that qualifies the holder for admission to a master's degree.
- A qualification issued by a university in a country that is not in the EHEA. If the qualification has not been homologated, the UPC will verify that the course of study corresponds to a level of education equivalent to an official Spanish university degree and that the qualification obtained would provide admission to a master’s degree in the country in which it was awarded. This access route in no way implies the homologation of the qualification or its recognition for any purpose other than admission to the master's degree. The master's degree will, however, be fully and legally valid.
In addition to these general access requirements, which apply to all master's degree courses, specific admission requirements may be set for each programme.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Total tuition fee for Master Degree student: €3,320
- Total tuition fee for Non/EU student: €4,980
Credits: 120 ECTS
Generic competencies are the skills that graduates acquire regardless of the specific course or field of study. The generic competencies established by the UPC are capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship, sustainability and social commitment, knowledge of a foreign language (preferably English), teamwork and proper use of information resources.
- The ability to develop efficient algorithms based on knowledge and understanding of the theory of computational complexity and the main data structures in the field of data science.
- The ability to apply the basic principles of data management and processing to problems in the field of data science.
- The ability to apply data integration methods to solve data science problems in heterogeneous environments.
- The ability to apply scalable methods for storage and parallel processing of data, including continuous data flows, after identifying the most suitable approaches for tackling a particular data science problem.
- The ability to model, design and implement complex data systems, including data visualisation.
- The ability to design data science processes and to apply scientific methods to draw conclusions about populations and take decisions accordingly, based on structured or unstructured data, including data that may be stored in heterogeneous formats.
- The ability to identify the limitations imposed by data quality when tackling data science problems and to apply techniques to reduce their impact.
- The ability to extract information from structured and unstructured data, taking into account their multivariate nature.
- The ability to apply appropriate methods for analysing other types of formats, such as processes and graphs, in the field of data science.
- The ability to identify machine learning and statistical modelling methods for solving a specific data science problem and to apply them in a rigorous manner.
- The ability to analyse and extract knowledge from unstructured information by applying natural language processing techniques and through the use of text and image mining.
- The ability to apply data science methods to multidisciplinary projects to solve problems in new or unfamiliar domains, selecting approaches that are economically viable, socially acceptable and in accordance with current legislation.
- The ability to identify the main data ethics and privacy issues affecting data science projects (in terms of both data management and data analytics) and to develop and implement appropriate measures to mitigate related threats.
- The ability to carry out and present and defend before an examination committee an original, individual piece of work consisting of a comprehensive data science engineering project that synthesises the competencies acquired on the degree.
Graduates work in data management and data analytics. The main positions related to work in these fields are the following:
- Data scientist
- Data engineer
- Data specialist
- Data administrator
- Systems architect
- Systems analyst
- Digital transformation leader (DTL)
- Chief information officer (CIO)
- Chief data officer (CDO)
Message the school
About this institute
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
The Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya · BarcelonaTech is a public institution of Higher Education and Research, specialised in the areas of Architecture, Engineering, Science and Technology. The UPC offers 66 bachelor’s degrees, 81 master’s programs (34 of them fully in...
Why study at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
The Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya is a prestigious and well-known institution of Higher Education, nationally and internationally.
In order to develop its international policy, the UPC is member to 16 networks of universities of excellence, each of which has different objectives. These networks dedicate their efforts to work jointly with prestigious institutions to obtain results, provide visibility and lead our interests and strategies to position us at the highest level.
UPC has 2.717 students in international mobility programs, 1.541 exchange agreements with 708 HEIs and 50 DD agreements with 32 universities. Every year, more than 6,000 bachelor’s and master’s students and more than 500 doctoral students graduate. The UPC has a high graduate employment rate: 93% of its graduates are in work and 76% find a job in under three months.
The UPC has different top facilities and labs where to develop research projects, which have helped UPC become a benchmark university in Europe in innovation and technology transfer. In collaboration with other public and private institutions, UPC has created research centers with its own legal entity, internationally recognized, such as the Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO), the International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering (CIMNE), the Institute of Spatial Studies of Catalunya (IEEC) or the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC).
Want to know more about Master's Degree in Data Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...