Master's Degree in Actuarial and Financial Sciences
An actuary is an expert in financial, demographic and insurance risk assessment, with a solid technical background in mathematics, statistics, economics and law. The master's degree in Financial and Actuarial Sciences provides the multidisciplinary training required to work as an actuary in compliance with international standards. The program covers the Core Syllabus requirements for actuarial training established by the International Actuarial Association and the Actuarial Association of Europe
The master's degree is structured along the same lines as the most renowned university programs in actuarial training in Europe and meets the professional requirements of the insurance and finance sectors (insurance, social welfare systems, financial tools and markets, and the assessment and management of associated risks). Therefore it also meets the training demands set out in the EU Solvency II Directive.
The course consists of 90 core credits plus 30 credits of face-to-face bridging courses. The bridging courses are subjects from the specialization in Finance and Insurance of the UB bachelor's degree in Business Administration and Management.
The languages of instruction for this course are as follows:
- First year: Spanish
- Second year:
- Spanish (Applied specialization)
- English (Advanced specialization)
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The master's degree in Financial and Actuarial Sciences is firmly focused on the job market. As such, its main objective is to offer future actuaries high-quality, multidisciplinary training that will equip them for successful national and international careers.
The solid technical training provided, particularly in the specialization in Advanced Financial and Actuarial Models, will also enable graduates to access doctoral studies.
The program seeks to facilitate student exchange and professional mobility across borders, thanks to compliance with the Core Syllabus requirements.
Students may choose from two specializations. The first, Applied Financial and Actuarial Models, taught in Spanish, aims to broaden their knowledge of the application and interpretation professional financial and insurance methods and techniques. The second, Advanced Financial and Actuarial Models, taught in English, introduces students to research and builds independent problem-solving and decision-making skills in the areas of finance and insurance. It is suitable preparation for further study at doctoral level.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
Actuaries are experts in insurance, public and private pensions, financial tools and markets and risk management and uncertainty quantification. They are therefore highly sought after in the banking sector and by insurance firms, companies with in-house risk management departments, auditors, consultancies and other corporations they need experts with the quantitative skills to carry out risk management tasks.
They also have a series of functions attributed to them by law. Current regulations on insurance, pensions and social welfare place actuaries at the centre of quantitative decision-making, and similar importance derives from the Solvency II Directive, which makes express mention of actuarial functions.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Want to know more about Master's Degree in Actuarial and Financial Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic