Master of Science in ArchitectureUniversità della Svizzera italiana
About this program
Master of Science in Architecture
The study programme consists of a series of theoretical lectures and design studios dedicated to arguments and methods of architectural design in its different forms (housing, services industry, culture, etc.) and scales (from interior design to the architectural structure all the way up to the urban and territorial plan).
The programme draws on two different but correlated teaching approaches.
The ﬁrst consists in theoretical courses pertaining to the methodological, technological and historical knowledge that will enable future architects to explore central themes of contemporary architectural culture critically.
The second approach entails, each semester, the choice of a design studio which focuses on a speciﬁc project typology, whether architectural or urban. In the years of the Master students are asked to produce one theoretical paper on topics of their own choice with the approval of a teacher.
The last semester is entirely dedicated to the drafting of the ﬁnal thesis, which consists in a project that is related to a topic chosen by the design studio professor. Although each professor chooses a different topic to be developed by his students, all concern a speciﬁc site selected by the school.
The Master education in Architecture lasts two years and must be supplemented with an additional period of 9 consecutive months of internship.
A total of 120 ECTS credit points must be obtained. Entry into the program is only possible in the fall semester.
Instruction occurs mainly in Italian, but courses in English are also offered. Proof of English language proficiency is not required to enter the MSc program.
Please note that candidates who already have a Master Degree diploma in Architecture will not be admitted.
The MSc degree is open to students who have trained under the new European Regulations, as well as students who have completed their university education on the basis of the previous regulations. The conditions of admission are as follows:
- Students who have obtained the title of BSc at the Academy, at ETHZ or at EPFL: access is automatic, provided the conditions of the Regulation of Studies and the examinations of the Academy have been complied with.
- Students who have graduated BSc from another university: access is not automatic and is subordinated to their possession of the necessary educational credits and to availability of places. The Mobility Commission evaluates each application in relation to the curriculum of studies of the Academy. The following Bachelor’s degrees are not considered valid for admission to the MSc courses: Interior Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, Construction and Civil Engineering or BSc degrees conducted by telematics education (e-learning).
- Students who have graduated under the previous regulations in another university: access is not automatic and is subordinated to their possession of the necessary educational credits and to availability of places. The Mobility Commission evaluates each application in relation to the curriculum of studies of the Academy.
- Students possessing an Arch. diploma SUPSI or from other Swiss professional universities (FHS, HES) may enroll in the MSc course by accumulating at least 30 educational credits as defined by the Academy. The Academy reserves the right to examine the candidate’s specific curriculum
The main teaching language is Italian. Proﬁciency language certiﬁcates are not required but students are invited to join the optional Italian course (for both beginners and advanced users) before the beginning of the semester. Some courses are taught in English. Students are required a basic knowledge.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Check on our website for more information: Home / Education / Master / Tuition and scholarships - Master programmes
The semester fees are CHF 4,000. For candidates resident in Switzerland and Lichtenstein at the time of the final high school exam (maturità), the semester fee is CHF 2,000.
Master of Science in Architecture
Message the school
About this institute
Università della Svizzera italiana (USI)
USI Università della Svizzera italiana is a member of the Swiss universities system and the only Italian-speaking University in Switzerland. It is a multi-lingual university with courses taught in Italian and English and it has a strong international orientation. USI’s...
Why study at Università della Svizzera italiana
USI is a young and lively university, a hub of opportunity open to the world where students are offered a quality interdisciplinary education in which they can be fully engaged and take center stage.
Seven reasons for choosing USI:
- Quality of the Swiss university system
- International faculty
- Leading interdisciplinary education
- Teacher/student ratio 1 to 9
- Strong ties with the business world
- Flexible structure, open to the exchange of ideas
- International, dynamic and welcoming environment
Average rating 4.5Based on 2 reviews.
I am currently first year student of Master Degree in Architecture in Academy of Architecture of Università della Svizzera Italiana in Mendrisio. I am planning to continue the two years-cycle study program in the coming year. I found Switzerland a country with a high level in education, especially in architecture. It is well known for valuable a...
Want to know more about Master of Science in Architecture? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.