The principal objective of the 2nd Cycle in Geological Engineering is the training of professionals prepared to find solutions to concrete problems in the domain of their area of knowledge, studying them in an integrated way and resorting to specific approaches, as far as social, economic and environmental implications are concerned.
In the context of vocational training in Geological Engineering three areas of specialisation are proposed, articulated amongst themselves: a) Geotechnical engineering; b) Geological Resources; c) Environmental Geology.
Bearing in mind the areas of specialisation for which they opt, graduates will have the abilities necessary to fulfil the following functions:
- Characterisation, evaluation, exploration and management of geological resources - water, mineral, energy and soils;
- Geological characterisation and geotechnics of soils and preparation of engineering projects in this domain;
- Prediction and analysis of geological risks;
- Environmental planning: contamination of ground and underground water; selection of sites for the construction of risk infrastructures, such as: depots for the storage and treatment of waste; nuclear power and hydroelectric stations.
- Licenciatura level degree, or legal equivalent in Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering,, Geotechnics Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Geology, Geophysics or similar scientific areas.
- Foreign higher education degree mentioned in 2.1 awarded on completion of a 1st cycle study programs organised in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this process.
- Foreign higher education degree mentioned in 2.1 recognised as satisfying the objectives of the licenciatura degree by the scientifically and statutorily competent body.
- The Scientific Council of the University of Aveiro may admit applicants proposed by the Director of the Study Cycle who do not meet the conditions specified above but whose academic, scientific or professional curriculum reveal an adequate preparation for frequenting the Masters programs, in accordance with Article 17, N.º 1, d), Decree Law n.º 74/2006, as expressed in DL n.º 65/2018 of 16 August, and Article 47, N.º 1, d) of the Study Regulations of the University of Aveiro.
- The recognition referred to in 2, 3 and 4 is valid only for entry to the study cycle and does not confer equivalence to the degree of licenciatura or recognition of this degree.
- Students enrolled in the 2019/2020 academic year in a cycle of University of Aveiro studies and who meet conditions for application in 2020/2021 may not apply for the same cycle o f studies under the terms of this competition.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Rock Mechanics
- Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems
- Explotation Of Mineral Deposits
- Project Management and Evaluation
- Geological Construction Materials
- Geological And Geotechnical Surveying
- Geophysics Applied To Engineering
- Economics And Legislation
- Underground Works And Escavation
- Appled Geochemistry
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Modelling Environmental Systems
- Geotechnics For Roads And Pavements
- Site Construction Management and Legal Requirements
- Appled Geochemistry
- Geophysics Applied To Hydrocarbon Prospecting
- Healing Minerals: Industrial Aspects
- Environmental Management Systems
- Risk Evaluation
- Soil Mechanics II
- Processing Of Geophysical Data
- Treatment Of Minerals And Industrial Rocks
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- Local/EU Students: 1000€ per year
- International/Non-EU Students: 5500€ per year
The holder of this master's degree will be able to practise their profession as a high level technician in the following areas:
- Laboratories and enterprises of technical studies and consultancy, in particular in the domains of geotechnical engineering, of hydrogeology, of geophysics and of geochemistry;
- Environmental impact agencies;
- The inert materials extraction industry;
- Transformation of ornamental and industrial rocks businesses;
- Mineral and energy resource prospecting businesses;
- Central, local and regional public administration services;
- Public and private laboratories;
- Management and protection of geological and archaeological heritage services;
- Research laboratories and companies.
About this institute
Universidade de Aveiro
Join an international community with people from 96 countries, studying, researching and living together in one of the cities with best quality of life in Portugal. Universidade de Aveiro is globally recognized by the quality of its teaching and researching...
Why study at Universidade de Aveiro
Why is Universidade de Aveiro the your next best step?
- Teaching and research experiences of excellence: here in Aveiro, you will find some of the best teachers, known internationally for their field work, investigation methods and results and 20 research centers evaluated with incredible remark.
- Intercultural environment: in a universe of over 90 nationalities, you can expect to see, feel and live cultures from all around the globe. Besides all the Intercultural events (more than 80 in 2019), you can count on a team fully dedicated to help you in any matters related to your studies and living abroad circumstances.
- Learn for the future: it is a modern university, with excellent infrastructures to learn and to start developing your career today. The university’s interdisciplinary atmosphere is crucial for the growth of critical knowledge and to develop towards society.
- Academic support: Universidade de Aveiro offers to its international students’ programs that allow them to get familiar with Portuguese language or level their knowledge on core subjects like Mathematics.
- International cooperation and mobility: While studying in Aveiro, you can take advantage of numerous mobility programs that will take your education experience to a whole different level, while living in a new country, meeting new people and learning new skills. Universidade de Aveiro also has cooperation agreements with hundreds of international institutions.
- Young and vibrant city: A medium sized city, with a low cost of life, capable of combining both amazing natural places, such as beaches, mountains and rivers and, at the same time, renowned innovation & tech events, projects and centers.
Want to know more about Geological Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Ostrava, Czech Republic