About this program
Doctorate in Design
The 3rd cycle of studies leading to a PhD in Design is a PhD Program in Association between the University of Aveiro (Department of Communication and Art) and the University of Porto (Faculty of Fine Arts), with the collaboration of teachers in the area of Design of these institutions, as well as researchers from ID+ Institute of Research in Design, Media and Culture.
This cycle of studies is structured in curricular units to be carried out over three years, the 1st year being especially oriented towards the acquisition of knowledge and development of skills in the basic scientific areas, allowing the student to start preparing the thesis. The first year of the course corresponds to a Doctoral Course in Design and, as such, will confer the corresponding Doctoral Course Diploma. The 2nd and 3rd years are almost entirely devoted to the preparation and writing of the thesis.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Seminars in Design
- Phenomenology of Design
- Scientific Writing Workshop
- Research Methods
- Design and Multidisciplinarity
- Design for Industry and Management
- Preparation of the Thesis Project
Thesis (2nd Year) Rd&i Networks in Design
Thesis (3rd Year)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- Tuition fees 2022/2023: 2750€€/year
- International tuition fees 2022/2023: 2750€€ /year
Service Design, Identity Design, Product Design, Consulting, Academia, Industry, Research Centers
An increased competitiveness of Portuguese products and brands in international sectors is anticipated, provided that a series of added value is stimulated: contextual; aesthetic semantic and functional. In this context, a PhD in Design with the characteristics proposed will be instrumental in creating reflection and stimulating in the various agents added dimensions of vision, originality, authorship and innovation.
It is anticipated an increasing transversality and multidisciplinarity, both with respect to the dynamics between the different Universities involved in this PhD in Design, and with regard to the vocation that Design has, as a discipline, to act as interlocutor between the several areas of practice and knowledge.
Message the school
About this institute
Universidade de Aveiro
Join an international community with people from 96 countries, studying, researching and living together in one of the cities with best quality of life in Portugal. Universidade de Aveiro is globally recognized by the quality of its teaching and researching...
Why study at Universidade de Aveiro
Why is Universidade de Aveiro the your next best step?
- Teaching and research experiences of excellence: here in Aveiro, you will find some of the best teachers, known internationally for their field work, investigation methods and results and 20 research centers evaluated with incredible remark.
- Intercultural environment: in a universe of over 90 nationalities, you can expect to see, feel and live cultures from all around the globe. Besides all the Intercultural events (more than 80 in 2019), you can count on a team fully dedicated to help you in any matters related to your studies and living abroad circumstances.
- Learn for the future: it is a modern university, with excellent infrastructures to learn and to start developing your career today. The university’s interdisciplinary atmosphere is crucial for the growth of critical knowledge and to develop towards society.
- Academic support: Universidade de Aveiro offers to its international students’ programs that allow them to get familiar with Portuguese language or level their knowledge on core subjects like Mathematics.
- International cooperation and mobility: While studying in Aveiro, you can take advantage of numerous mobility programs that will take your education experience to a whole different level, while living in a new country, meeting new people and learning new skills. Universidade de Aveiro also has cooperation agreements with hundreds of international institutions.
- Young and vibrant city: A medium sized city, with a low cost of life, capable of combining both amazing natural places, such as beaches, mountains and rivers and, at the same time, renowned innovation & tech events, projects and centers.
Want to know more about Doctorate in Design? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!