Residential JDUNH Franklin Pierce School of Law
About this program
Our juris doctor program is rooted in practice-oriented instruction, featuring courses taught by renowned faculty – many of whom have extensive practice experience – as well as five live-client clinics and a far-reaching legal residency (externship) program that provide substantive real-world, hands-on experience. Qualified students can also take part in the Daniel Webster Scholar program, the only program in the country allowing students to graduate client-ready without the need to take the traditional two-day bar exam.
Offerings also include dual degrees in partnership with UNH, including JD/MBA, JD/MSW, and JD/MPP, as well as several joint degrees, including JD/LLM in Intellectual Property, and JD/LLM in Commerce and Technology.
In addition, our curriculum allows JD or joint degree candidates to specialize further by earning a JD certificate in a specific area of study:
- JD or dual degree candidates with an interest in sports and entertainment can pursue a JD certificate in sports law, entertainment law or sports and entertainment law from the Sports and Entertainment Law Institute.
- JD and joint degree candidates specializing in intellectual property may opt for a Franklin Pierce Intellectual Property Law JD certificate.
- Students interested in shaping innovative health care policies and research may earn a JD certificate of health law and policy.
You've found your place. From our very first interaction, UNH Law's focus is on you. You'll flourish in our small classes, tailor your own legal education experience, and have ample opportunities to perform real-world legal work while still a student, through a wide variety of clinics, legal residencies, and independent projects. Discover a world-class faculty and an inventive curriculum that has received praise from scholars around the globe. See why U.S. News and World Report ranks us as one of the nation's top 100 law schools and, for 29 years, a top-10 school for the study of intellectual property law.
Visiting and Exchange Students
Students interested in seeking visiting student status at UNH Law may fill out the visiting student application. Visiting students must be in good academic standing and have permission to transfer credits back to their home institution.
UNH Law requires international applicants with foreign transcripts to submit all transcripts through the LSACCAS. All undergraduate work outside the United States (including its territories) or Canada must be evaluated by CAS.
Foreign lawyers who have earned an undergraduate or graduate law degree from a law school outside of the United States are eligible for advanced standing. Please select applicant type “transfer” on your LSAC application.
For more information about admission requirements, Please visit the school website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Required Courses for Juris Doctor Candidates
- The Legal Profession
- Civil Procedure
- Constitutional Law
- Legal Research and Information Literacy
- Legal Analysis and Writing 1
- Legal Analysis and Writing 2
- Fundamentals of Law Practice (residential only)
- Fundamentals of Intellectual Property
Upper Level Required Courses 1
- Administrative Process
- Professional Responsibility
- Criminal Procedure I: The Law of Criminal Investigation
Upper Level Writing Requirement
Upper Level Experiential Learning Requirement
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the school website for more information.
Take advantage of UNH Franklin Pierce's expertise in intellectual property and innovation law, currently ranked No. 5 for IP law by U.S. News &World Report and ranking among the top 10 in the country for nearly three decades. The J.D. program immerses students in business law, criminal law, patent law, and public interest and social justice with experiential learning opportunities that allow you to personalize your legal education. Students engage in practical learning through Franklin Pierce's Intellectual Property and Transaction Clinic or the International Technology Transfer Institute. The program can be completed in person or through a hybrid learning model that is available part-time and mostly online.
JD Program Tuition Fees
- NH Resident:$19,500.00
- Out-of-State Resident:$23,000.00
- New England Regional:$21,250.00
- Legal analysis and reasoning: Graduates will be able to identify, comprehend, and apply the relevant substantive and procedural laws to solve a legal issue, informed by an understanding of the diversity of viewpoints on and contexts for any issue.
- Written and oral communication: Graduates will be able to present material effectively in these formats for both objective analytical and advocacy purposes across a range of settings, including in the courtroom.
- Professionalism: Graduates will be able to act in an ethical, respectful, and self-aware manner with all other stakeholders, including clients, employers, and the court.
- Legal research: Graduates will be able to navigate and assess relevant legal authorities using appropriate tools.
- Public service: Graduates will be able to contribute productively to strengthening the justice system, with a sensitivity toward the needs of people facing societal barriers.
- Problem solving: Graduates will be able to engage in focused and pragmatic collaboration toward goals.
- Client counseling and management: Graduates will be able to provide trustworthy and responsive action upon clients' matters.
- Factual investigation and analysis: Graduates will be able to implement a strategic plan for information-gathering, which includes the ability to iterate on the plan as needed, and evaluate the results of the information obtained.
- Business Law
- Criminal Law
- Intellectual Property: Patent Law
- Intellectual Property: Trademarks and Copyright
- Public Interest and Social Justice
- Sports and Entertainment Law
Message the school
About this institute
UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law
University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law has been a powerhouse for nearly five decades, offering a top-ranked US legal education in global innovation and Top 10 Intellectual Property Law program in the USA. We offer a traditional...
Want to know more about Residential JD? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!