Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Bachelor of Education (BEd) (Foundation Phase Teaching)
The faculty educates teachers in several disciplines. Our primary role is to prepare pre-service teachers for their work in schools, ensuring that they have a strong disciplinary base for their professional work. A second major role is the teaching of in-service educators. The work is informed by and closely related to our research and community outreach. We bring to our work a keen interest in the local context, using it as an opportunity for exploring issues that are universal in education. We work closely with schools and other sites of education and attempt to keep theory and practice in dialogue with one another.
The faculty offers a wide range of non-selection undergraduate certificates, diplomas, and degrees, as well as postgraduate certificates, honours, master’s, and doctoral study programs.
Students in our undergraduate Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree (offered in Pre-school and Foundation, Intermediate, Senior, and FET phases) are preparing to be teachers in primary and secondary schools. The key teaching and learning tenet of the program is reflection, with an emphasis on teaching prospective teachers about teaching, as opposed to teaching them only how to teach.
Pay attention to the following important information:
- The UFS reserves the right to change the minimum requirements of each program or any other information without notifying you.
- There are specific admission requirements that you should meet if you want to study at any South African university. If you finished school in or after 2008 and have a National Senior Certificate (NSC), you need to have a performance level of at least 4 (50%) in four (4) of the seven (7) subjects included in your NSC subject package. LO is excluded.
- All admission requirements apply to first-year students in 2021.
- Admission to study at the UFS is dependent on the following:
- Your application should meet all the minimum requirements for the program
- The program must have available space and capacity to admit students
- You have to submit valid school results with your application
- Applications for all non-selection programs close on 30 September 2020.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Compulsory Subjects (First Year of Study)
- Institutional Module
- English Skills for Education
- Lifelong Learning Skills for Teachers
- Education Studies:
- The individual in education context
- What it means to educate: theoretical perspectives and significance for SA education
- General Pedagogy 1: Early Childhood Development and Learning (0-9)
- Life Skills
- Mathematics 1: Numbers, Operations, Relationships, Patterns, Functions, and Algebra
- Teaching Practice
The following career prospects apply:
- Professionally qualified educators for the Pre-school, Foundation, Intermediate, Senior, and Further Education phases.
- Specialists in the fields of education management, curriculum studies, inclusive education, support teaching, education policy, and Philosophy and Education as a science.
- Experts in education-related careers, such as instructors, trainers, education policy analysts, and lecturers in the higher-education sector.
- The BEd offers, among others, excellent training in the knowledge, skills, expertise, and techniques that have a bearing on developing autonomy, responsibility, and interpersonal relationships, as well as rendering an expert service as a teacher, manager, and subject expert.
- Career opportunities for students specialising in technological education. The Bachelor of Education (BEd) in technology-related university subjects is a focused qualification, providing students the opportunity to obtain a technology-directed teaching degree for qualifying as a professional teacher in the Further Education and Training phase.
The BEd qualification is also suitable for the development of expertise in teaching-related careers such as instructors; trainers; lecturers/doctors/professors at higher-education (tertiary) institutions; supervisors and/or managers in technology-related industries; managers of workshops, community centres, and factories; experts in loss control; forestry; draughtsmen; designers; etc. Entrepreneurial opportunities are unlimited and an appropriate choice of subjects (for example, Business Management) opens up the opportunity to establish your own business.
About this institute
The University of the Free State
The University of the Free State is situated in Bloemfontein – the centre of South Africa. Bloemfontein serves as the capital of the Free State Province as well as the. Judicial Capital of South Africa. This beautiful city is also...
Want to know more about Bachelor of Education (BEd) (Foundation Phase Teaching)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America
Campbellsville, United States of America