Social Science Research - Gender Studies
The Master's Degree program in Gender Studies provides you with advanced training in the field of gender studies. The program gathers students and faculty broadly from social sciences, humanities and arts to develop innovative ways of expanding knowledge on gender, sexuality and racialisation in local, historical, cross-cultural and transnational contexts.
The degree engages you with wide-ranging and interdisciplinary traditions in gender studies, including feminist, queer, trans and antiracist studies. You will obtain both theoretical and methodological tools to understand and analyse how gender, sexuality and racialisation shape societies and cultures; how inequalities can be observed and tackled in different societal spheres, including, for instance, institutions and politics, workplaces, everyday life, intimate relations, media and the arts. You will familiarise yourself with cutting-edge research from this exciting and growing area of study.
The program examines key feminist theories and methodologies and explores the ways in which gender intersects with other differences, such as sexuality, class, age, ability, race, and ethnicity. The scope and extent of this program is unique. As a joint program of Tampere University, the University of Turku and Åbo Akademi University, you will benefit from several special research and teaching profiles of gender studies. This guarantees a wide interdisciplinary expertise.
- Study skills and personal study planning
- Scientific Writing
- Finnish Elementary Course
Studies on Global Society
- Quantitative Research Methods and Comparative Research Design
- Qualitative Research Methods and Comparative Research Design
Studies from the Global Society framework
Free choice studies
- Optional Internship
Advanced Studies on Gender
- Introduction to the Master's Degree program in Gender Studies
- Gendered and sexualized society
- Feminist theory
- Feminist methodology and research design
- Feminist politics
- Studies in Gender Research
- Master's thesis seminar and master's thesis
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 10000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a Master of Social Sciences degree (120 ECTS).
After completing the Master's Degree program in Gender Studies you will have
- gained interdisciplinary understanding on gender, sexuality and racialisation in society
- learned skills and knowledge to work independently with key theoretical and methodological traditions of feminist knowledge production
- comprehended how inequalities organise and shape social life and practices, institutions, bodies, affects and identities
- learned to design, conduct and report critical feminist academic research
- gained expertise on promoting and practicing equality and equal opportunities in various contexts in society
Postgraduate study opportunities
The MA degree in Gender Studies provides the eligibility for doctoral studies in Social Sciences and Humanities. Tampere University, students can continue, for example, to Doctoral studies in the Doctoral program in Social Sciences.
This internationally-linked program is especially suited for students aiming at careers in national and international research, politics, equal opportunities policies and human rights institutions and organisations in the private and public sectors as well as in non-governmental organisations and civil society, and the media. The gender studies program teaches written and oral communication skills, collaborative work skills and skills to critically examine power relationships.
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Social Science Research - Gender Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Summer / Short course
Berkeley, United States of America
Prague, Czech Republic