Security and Safety Management – Security Governance
New professions will continue to emerge in both the public and private sectors (public administration, security organisations, businesses and civil society) locally, nationally and globally. The new professions in security, safety and risk management require innovative in-depth knowledge and skills that are based on interdisciplinary approaches and methodologies. Organisations and enterprises need highly qualified professionals with a thorough understanding of security and safety management, safety engineering, risk management, governance and leadership.
The Master’s Degree program in Security and Safety Management (SAFER) responds to this demand by educating experts who specialise in either Security Governance or Safety Management and Engineering. Depending on their major, students graduate with a Master’s degree in either administrative sciences MSc (Admin), or technology, MSc (Tech). The two majors have their own admission and degree requirements. Apart from the majors, the program mainly consists of joint courses. Students enrolled in SAFER can also choose courses across all the Faculties at Tampere University.
Chat live with students from Tampere University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Tampere University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
To be eligible to apply to a Master’s degree program at Tampere University, you must have
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- which corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study
- from relevant field for the Master’s degree program that you’re applying to
- from an accredited institution of higher education
- AND a good command of the English language for academic purposes.
A Bachelor’s degree completed in a university outside Finland must provide eligibility for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
Program-specific eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply to the Master’s degree program in Security and Safety Management in the Security governance track is a person who:
- has completed a university level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a suitable field of social sciences.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Security Governance, General Studies
- Introduction to Security Studies, Governance and Safety Management
- Current Trends in Security and Safety Management
- Advanced Introduction to Research Methods
- Finnish Elementary Course 1
- Introduction to Graduate Studies
Security Governance, Advanced Studies
- Societal Security: Contemporary Challenges
- Current Themes in International Security
- Approaches to International Security Studies
- Global and EU Security Governance
- Crisis Management and Leadership
- Master's Thesis (including Seminar and Maturity Test)
- Governance of Security
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 12000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a Master of Administrative Sciences degree 120 ECTS.
Knowledge and deepening understanding
After graduating from the the master's program, the student:
- Understands how local and global processes affect the changing security, safety and risk management demands from the level of individual enterprises, businesses and local business environments through the level of national security policy, regional security complexes and global governance
- Recognizes key differences and similarities between the requirements of safety management and security governance within private and public sphere as well as in the work of the third sector both locally and globally
Skills and competences
After graduating from the master's program, the student:
- Masters the ability to analytically and critically evaluate the changing demands of safety management, security governance, risk analysis and their interrelationship
- Is able to collaborate and have a dialogue with different stakeholders across the security political and safety management sectors
- Is able to evaluate the economic consequences of the occupational accidents and illnesses as well as understand the basic strategies of accident prevention
- Has the ability to construct innovative research puzzles based on existing research literature that aim to yield new research results with practical relevance
- Has the ability to work as an active and constructive leader across different disciplinary fields and working environments related to security and safety management
Postgraduate study opportunities
Students who complete the degree program are eligible to seek admission to doctoral studies. Graduates who major in Security Governance are eligible for doctoral studies in social sciences.
The new security and safety and risk management professions and tasks in public administration, security organisations, businesses and civil society require new kind of in-depth knowledge and skills based on interdisciplinary approaches and methodologies. Local, regional, national, European and global organisations will need new highly qualified professionals who understand societal and human security as well as safety and risk management in the complex social, political and technological environment.
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Security and Safety Management – Security Governance? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Carson, United States of America