The School of Chinese as a Second Language (SCSL) at Sun Yat-sen University was founded in 2004 and is one of the earliest institutions teaching Chinese as a second language in China. Its predecessor, established in 1981, was the Chinese Language Training Center of Sun Yat-sen University. It was initially called “School for Oversea Educational Exchange” upon the establishment but was renamed “School of Chinese as a Second Language” in 2009. With a strong ability in teaching and researching, SCSL has been highly influential both at home and abroad.
SCSL provides non-degree courses, preparatory courses, undergraduate courses, graduate (MA and PhD) courses, as well as training courses for overseas Chinese teachers. Since its establishment, SCSL has educated more than ten thousand students from over 140 countries and regions.
SCSL is the designated test center of HSK, the Chinese Proficiency Test, which is an international standardized exam. Non-native speakers of Chinese who meet the required scores can obtain corresponding levels of Certificates of Chinese Proficiency. Besides, the Center of PSC (Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi, or Standard Chinese Test) is also given at the school.
- Elementary Chinese
- Intermediate Chinese
- Advanced Comprehensive Chinese
- Listening, Speaking, Writing and Reading Chinese
- Business Chinese: Economics, Practice of International Trade, Practice of Business and Trade in China, Investigations in Economics, Comprehensive Business Chinese, Business Chinese Reading.
- Cross cultural communication: Skills of Chinese teaching, language comparison and error analysis, and educational psychology.
- Non-Chinese citizen in good health
- Senior High school graduation qualification
- Age requirement: 18 years or above
- Applicants who have graduated from high school but not yet received graduation diplomas should provide supplementary documentation from schools verifying their status.
- On-line Application Form
- Xerox copies of passport;
- Diploma and transcript for senior high school;
- Language Proficiency Certificate if any
*All of these documents should be prepared with two copies for each. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with the notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- Tuition Fee: 23,000 yuan per year
- Registration Fee: 400 yuan
- Overall Insurance and Benefit Plan: 800 yuan per year
- Accommodation: 4,800 yuan per person per academic year (air-conditioned double room)
SYSU is located in Guangdong Province, an area neighboring Hong Kong and Macao, which is at the forefront of China's reform and opening up, watch to learn more.
About this institute
Study Extensively, Enquire Accurately, Reflect Carefully, Discriminate Clearly, Practice Earnestly
Welcome to Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU), a comprehensive national key university founded in 1924 by Dr Sun Yat-sen, a revolutionary leader of the 20th century. With a teaching tradition spanning over a century, SYSU is located in Guangdong Province, an...
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.