About this program
BSc (Hons) Popular Music Production
The course explores three main areas of study: technical and musical foundations, music and sound production in studio and live settings, and employability in the music industry. These varied subjects enable you to gain a broad understanding of the industry, so when you graduate you’ll be equipped with the right skills and knowledge to kick-start your career.
Solent’s music production program is ideally suited to students who want to combine that unique mix of technical and musical skills, while developing an understanding of the industries that await them. Applicants should previously have studied music technology or a related subject, or be able to demonstrate some music making experience.
English language requirements
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language. The agreed minimum requirements for this course are:
- IELTS minimum 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component
- TOEFL IBT minimum 80 with a minimum of 20 in each individual component
- Duolingo English Language Test - 100 overall with minimum of 90 in each component
- or equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Principles of Sound
- Introduction to Studio Recording 1
- Principles of Music
- Introduction to Studio Recording 2
- Creative Music Industries
- Sampling Synthesis and Midi
- Advanced Studio Recording 1
- Advanced Studio Recording 2
- Creative Sound Design
- Live Music Production
- Music Portfolio Careers
- Advanced Live Music Production
- Music and Sound for Games
Please note: Not all optional units are guaranteed to run each year.
- Major Project
- Advanced Music Production
- Live Project Brief
- Surround Mixing
- Live Event Technology
- Live Sound Technology
- Experimental Music Production
Scholarships & funding
Solent University offers a range of bursaries and scholarships that provide financial assistance or waive fees for tuition or accommodation. Each bursary or scholarship has specific eligibility criteria.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- UK, EU and Channel Island full-time fees: £9,250 per year
- International full-time fees: £13,800 per year
After successfully completing your studies, there's an opportunity to continue your studies at Solent.
Students from Solent’s music production programme will be well prepared for a wide range of graduate level employment opportunities. Suitable roles for graduates include:
- Music producer
- Live sound engineer
- Mix engineer
- Film sound editor
- Game sound designer
- Events organiser
- Music publishing
- Arts administrator
- Music technician
- Music and sound entrepreneur
- Music education
- Postgraduate study
Message the school
About this institute
Solent University is all about creating opportunities: for its students, for its staff, for its partners. It offers expertise and experiences you couldn’t get anywhere else, opening doors and making introductions. We’re focused on the practical side of higher education...
Why study at Solent University
Everything we do at Solent is focused on you – your learning, your life, your career. We offer all of the skills, knowledge, and practical experience you’ll need – all the things employers are looking for. So, when you graduate, you’ll already feel like a professional.
- Solent’s top areas of research and expertise are the creative and cultural industries, maritime and the environment, and sport, health and wellbeing.
- Gain work experience with our in-house innovative student enterprises in retail, design and web, TV, music and radio production and event management.
- Our lively student community is home to over 100 different nationalities – giving our campus and our classrooms a diverse, multicultural feel.
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Popular Music Production? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...