ArchaeologyUniversidade NOVA de Lisboa - Foundation Program
About this program
The Department of History was created in 1977, counting among its founders some outstanding figures of Portuguese historiography.
The Department has provided the Degree in Archeology, from which numerous researchers, professors and specialists from different educational, heritage management and research institutions, both public and private, emerged.
Related to the Department of History there are three research centers dedicated to different fields of study: the Institute of Medieval Studies (IEM), the Center for Humanities (CHAM) and the Institute of Contemporary History (IHC). In addition to bringing together many of the Department's Archeology and History professors, these centers have collections of documentation and specialized bibliography, which is an important asset for all those who choose to study in this area.
In addition to the research projects in the field of archeology that take place at NOVA FCSH, there are also several collaboration protocols with various entities that allow students to participate in archaeological excavations and in an archeology laboratory. In this way, future archaeologists can acquire skills in practical work from the 1st year of the course.
For information on admissions requirements, please contact the institute.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Prehistoric Archeology (Hunter and Gatherer Societies)
- Republican Roman Archeology
- History of Classical Antiquity
- Methodology in Archeology
- Archaeological Materials
- Archaeological Record - Surveys and Topographies
- Prehistoric Archeology (Agro-Pastoral and Metallurgist Societies)
- Imperial Roman Archeology
- Archeology and History of the Ancient Middle East
- Informatics Applied to Archeology
- Methods of Prospecting, Excavation and Dating
- Archaeological Record - Drawing
- Christian Medieval Archeology
- Proto-Historical Archeology
- History of the Middle Ages
- 2 optional subjects
- Medieval Muslim Archeology
- Nautical and Underwater Archeology
- History of the Modern Age
- 2 optional subjects
- Archeology of the Portuguese Expansion
- Industrial Archeology
- History of the Contemporary Age
- Modern Archeology
- 1 optional subject
- 3 optional subjects
- Archeology Internship
Duration: 3 years/6 semesters.
The student must complete 180 credits: 120 credits in the program of compulsory curricular units, 30 credits in the framework of conditioned options, and 30 credits in free options or in a minor in another scientific area.
Semestrally, the student must not enroll for more than 30 credits, respecting the precedence when these have been defined. At the beginning of each semester, the student will be advised on the curricular units to be taken, most appropriate to his/her academic path. Undergraduate students can also benefit from the different mobility programs in which NOVA FCSH participates, such as Erasmus+, Almeida Garrett, among others, and participate in research work within the research units that make up the Faculty.#BBD0E0 »
- Foreign students: 697 €/year
- Foreign students: 3500 €/year
- Have a comprehensive and critical view of the human past, as well as the understanding that the past affects the present and the future, as well as our perception of both;
- Reveal understanding through points of view resulting from different historical backgrounds, in different cultural and geographical contexts, in the interpretation of their material culture;
- Be aware of the human presence and its material testimonies, in its historical context, especially in the current Portuguese territory;
- Possess a general knowledge of the material culture of the different periods of Portuguese History;
- Know the methodologies and techniques of archaeological work, as well as the publication of the respective results;
- Acquire experience in handling, interpreting and contextualizing archaeological evidence;
- Have fieldwork and laboratory experience in Archeology.
- Archaeological Heritage Management Bodies
- local authorities
- Environmental Impact Study Companies
- Archeology Companies - preventive and rescue archeology
- Museology, Cultural Tourism, Information Management
- Cultural Programming and Management Organizations
- Teaching and Research Organizations
Message the school
About this institute
Universidade NOVA de Lisboa - SUPERNOVA Foundation Programme
SUPERNOVA was designed for students who have recently finished high school and plan to apply to Higher Education at European Institutions. SUPERNOVA will assist students from different countries in adapting to the European education system, developing language and academic skills...
Universidade NOVA de Lisboa - Foundation Program
Want to know more about Archaeology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!