M.S. in Computer ScienceNortheastern Illinois University
M.S. in Computer Science
All available course dates
M.S. in Computer Science
Harness the power of today’s technology. You’re already computer savvy—now upgrade your career by boosting your acumen to the next level.
The M.S. in Computer Science provides individuals with a background in computer science a means of acquiring a higher level of computer sophistication. Individuals with job titles such as application programmer/analyst, systems programmer or software engineer who want to expand the breadth of their computing background would benefit from this program.
In order to accommodate students who are employed full-time, M.S. in Computer Science courses are offered in the evening and on Saturday mornings. Graduate courses usually have fewer students than the undergraduate courses, allowing for more contact with professors.
General admission requirements
- Submit a completed application.
- Submit a non-refundable application fee accompanying the application. The application fee can be in the form of a check, money order or bank draft payable to Northeastern Illinois University. If paid in cash at the Student Payment Services Office, the receipt should be attached with the application package.
- Possess an undergraduate degree from a regionally-accredited college or university or recognized international college or university.
- Provide current official transcripts. Transcripts and examination scores must be official and received in an envelope sealed by the sending institution or electronically via credential third-party transcript provider. Hand-carried transcripts will be considered official as long as they are delivered in the sealed envelope. Transcripts become the property of the University and cannot be released.
- Meet the requirements of the specific program to which they are applying.
International student requirements:
- Submit application for admission with a $30 application fee to the Admissions Office. We encourage students to apply online for faster processing.
- Submit current official copies of transcripts of schools attended within the United States. All transcripts from non U.S. colleges or universities must be evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) or World Education Services (WES) sent to the Admissions Office.
- Arrange to have official TOEFL or IELTS scores sent to the Admissions Office. You must pass the written version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 (masters admission requires 550) or you must pass the computerized version of the TOEFL test with a minimum score of 173 (master admission requires 213) or the internet based test with minimum score of 61 (masters admission requires 79). The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) may be submitted in lieu of TOEFL. An IELTS minimum score of 6 (masters admissions 6.5) is required.
- Masters applicants must also submit 2 letters of recommendation, statement of goals and objectives, and any additional documents required by the program.
- Your file will be reviewed for admission decision when the application, fee and all academic documents, such as transcripts and test scores are received. However, an I-20 will not be issued until the Requirements for I-20 Processing have been met.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Required Core Courses in Computer Science
- Discrete Modeling And Analysis
- Analysis Of Algorithms
- Object-Oriented Design
- (1) course Required Category #1 (Security/Networking)
- (1) course Required Category #2 (Project Management)
- (1) Course Required Category #3 (Data/Artificial Intelligence)
- (5) courses Elective courses from any category
- Master's Project
Category #1 Security/Networking
- Computer Networks
- Network Security
- Topics In Network Design
- Computer Security
Category #2 Project Management
- Software Engineering
- Professional Computing
- Web Application Development
- IT Project Management
- Enterprise Architecture & IT Strategy
Category #3 Data/Artificial Intelligence
- Artificial Intelligence
- Design Of Data Base Systems
- AI And Robotics
- Research Topics In Artificial Intelligence
- Introduction To Data Mining
- Expert Systems
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the website for more information.
The M.S. in Computer Science prepares you for careers such as:
- Software engineer
- Computer security specialist
- Computer networking professional
- IT project manager
- Web developer
About this institute
Northeastern Illinois University
Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) is a public university that is more than 150 years old. It attracts students and faculty from over 100 countries. Its main 67-acre campus is a welcoming oasis located in a safe residential neighborhood on the...
Why study at Northeastern Illinois University
Located in Chicago, NEIU offers 75+ undergrad and masters programs, including excellent STEM programs, including pre-med, an AACSB accredited College of Business with a business incubator, and a nationally recognized Educational Leadership program. Google has partnered with NEIU's Computer Science Department. Other innovative programs include: Graphic Design BFA, Community Health BA, Early Childhood Education BA, Environmental Studies MA with GIS certification, Exercise/Sports Science MA, Gerontology, MA.
But what really makes NEIU a special place to study is we are a teaching university with a 13:1 student to faculty ratio which means not only will your professors will know who you are and your name, but many of them will give you a chance to do research with them, even undergraduate students regularly get this opportunity. A third of NEIU's faculty were born in other countries. Many were once international students so they will understand you.
Want to know more about M.S. in Computer Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...