Education Assistant/Community Care Support Worker - Human Services Certificate - Indigenous FocusNorth Island College
Education Assistant/Community Care Support Worker - Human Services Certificate - Indigenous Focus
All available course dates
Education Assistant/Community Care Support Worker - Human Services Certificate Indigenous Focus
Learn intercultural communication skills and understand contemporary Canadian social and family issues, with a focus on Indigenous populations. As a specialized education assistant or community support worker, you will be prepared to provide support to individuals with a broad range of disabilities, bringing unique skills and training to the workplace to help integrate Aboriginal cultural and curricular content — or transfer to NIC’s Human Services diploma.
In the program courses, which provide a base for enhancing communication skills and critical analysis, you will learn a variety of frameworks for analyzing the structure of problems within society and will explore different models for supporting families and individuals. You will study human development through the lifespan as well as have opportunities to explore in-depth theories, skills and positive behaviour support strategies. You will learn to support the health and wellness of individuals through supervised placements in a community agency and school settings, as well as weekly seminars where you will discuss ethical issues and reflect upon your practice experiences.
You will explore in-depth theories, skills and supports required for education assistance and community support work.
- C+ in English 12, IELTS 6.0 with no band less than 6.0, or equivalent.
- Completed 20 hours volunteer work and HSW Professional Reference Information Sheet.
- Signed Human Services Requisite Skills and Abilities document.
- 300-word HSW Letter of Intent for coming into the program and career goals.
In addition to above academic requirements, high school graduation requirement and English proficiency requirement apply to all international applicants.
For more information, please visit the institute website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Essay Writing and Indigenous Perspective
- The Educational Assistant in the Cross-Cultural Classroom
- Cross-Cultural Communication Skills in the Classroom
- Cross-Cultural Social Analysis
- Cross-Cultural Community Support
- Holistic Health and Well Being
- Support Strategies for Skill Development in Cross-Cultural Settings
- Indigenous Focus Human Service Practice Experience I
- First Nations Education: Traditional and Contemporary
- Human Development from Conception through Childhood; and
- Human Development from Adolescence through Adulthood Or
- Human Development: 0-12 Years of Age; and
- Human Development: Adolescence Onward
- Indigenous Focus Human Service Practice Experience II
Scholarships & funding
North Island College offers scholarship opportunities to new students. For details please visit the institute website.
For more information regarding tuition fees, please visit the website.
As a graduate of the Educational Assistant/Community Support, Indigenous Focus program, you will be well-prepared to assist individuals who have physical, cognitive and psychiatric disabilities.
As an education assistant, you will qualify to work in schools and, under the supervision of the teacher, provide classroom support.
As a community support worker, you may pursue career in community-based or government agencies, in departments that assist individuals with diverse needs.
Some graduates have started their own community support businesses and hold contracts with a variety of government and non-government agencies.
About this institute
North Island College
Located on beautiful Vancouver Island, West Coast of Canada, North Island College is a small public college which offers many programs including certificates, diplomas, a degree in business, and post degree diplomas. Areas of study include university transfer in the...
Want to know more about Education Assistant/Community Care Support Worker - Human Services Certificate - Indigenous Focus? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Graduate diploma / certificate
Knoxville, United States of America